Hot Rod Forum banner

69 F100

6K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  BigBlockBabe 
#1 ·
I just bought a 69 ford f100. I know nothing about vehicles basically. I was wondering if someone could give me a good website about restoreing classics. I am trying to keep the oringinality of the truck. I need a website that would show me what all is original. It supposedly has a 302 in it, but I heard the oringinal engines in the 69's were 351 clevlend.
Also, could someone give me a site that I can acquire paint codes. I have a color picked out but I can't really find a good sample. It's dark red pearl metallic.
The photo is not "my Truck" but it is exactly like that.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The 351-Cleveland was not an option in any Ford pickup. It was produced from 1970-74, and came in the "Pony Cars" (Mustang/Cougar), and the bigger cars also. 351-C production was intermingled with the 351-Windsor which came into production in the 1969 model year, but it did not make its way into Ford trucks until the mid-80's when the "M" series engines were discontinued.

If you have a 1969 Ford truck, and the engine is stock, you could have an FE (Ford/Edsel) 360 or 390, or you could have the 302. I am not sure how common a 302 in the light duty trucks was; the 230/300 I-6 was more common.

As it was mentioned, this site is excellent. There is another decent site called "Ford Truck Enthusiast" which can give you a more focused forum.

#4 ·
There is also a book titled "How to Restore your Ford Pickup" by Tom Brownell, MBI publishing company. I am sure it would be available via Amazon.com. It is obviously dedicated to your Ford, but is a bit generic. It would be a good place to start with basics. This site is a good place to work on specific technical challenges.

Another interesting but not necessary publication is "Ford Pickup Color History" also by Tom Brownell and MBI Publishing and will give you specifications and changes between model years. I am not an expert on stock Ford trucks, but I believe the advice you just received about the motors is accurate.

PS: any proper restoration of a Ford Pickup includes the installation of a Chevy Motor and transmission (you can keep the ford rear-end). It will devinitely go faster and will be cheaper to build.

See my truck, built Ford Tough with Chevy Stuff!

#5 ·
I think it is important to understand exactly what year the truck you own is before deciding what the stock engine is in it. You say that you just bought a 69 F-100 and that the picture you have posted looks "exactly" like the one you just bought. The truck that you have posted is not a 69. It is closer to a 65 or so. I have a 69 and it has the same body style as trucks between 67 and 72. Before 67 there weren't any trucks that came stock with 302, 351, 360, or 390. Somebody stated before that 230/300 I-6 were common in Ford trucks. Maybe that's a good place to start. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
thats not a 69 or a 65

I have a 65 ford f-100. now the 64, 65, and 66 ford f100s were all built basically the same, with a few minor differences, one being the grill. the grill shown in your "69 f100" is really a 66 f100 grill, not a 65 or 69.

The engine for my 65 f-100 is a 302ci I-6, and its all stock, so yes, its possible to have a 302. I've also been told theres a 240ci I-6 for those years, but i've never seen one myself, and theres also a 352ci V8. hope this helped!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.