69 javelin engine vibration - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 09:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

69 javelin engine vibration

Hello I have a problem with a vibration at mid rpm in an ¿360? Javelin `69 it seems to have external balance like a dodge 360 but instead of a bulk in the damper and weigths in the convertyor these engine have four holes in the flywheel and a skimmed part in the damper,but the differrence with the mopar is they are not at the same place (one in front of the other) they are 180º opposite ,or maybe the ring inthe damper have rotated,it doesn't look like but the rubber isn't new on it.Thanks for the advice

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Registered Brain Surgeon

Last photo:

I am by no means an AMC guru but the engine you have is either a 343 or 390 AMC engine and not a dodge engine at all. The only ID tags they had that I know of is on the front of the left valve cover. Does sound to me a balance problem though.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:10 PM

Javelin vibration

Hello;Thanks for the answer,but maybe you are misunderstanding my question,I know for sure that the engine in this car is not mopar,but it has similar external balance devices but yes I'm not sure which engine is at all,I will try to find the engine number in the owner title,Thanks again,bye
Old 10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

There was an AMC 360.....................Not sure of the exact years, but 69 sounds about right. SC Hornets came with them too.

Budget RVs
Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 PM

Javelin vibration

Hi again,I just decode the vin in an AMX web page and the engine is a 1969 343ci,well my question is ¿Does the skimmed part of the damper ring has to be at the same equivalent place of the coin shaped holes(4) of the flywheel ,or it should be 180º rotated from them?I have the transmission down and the damper too and when they are installed they have their balance meens in opossite sides.Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

AMC V-8s are balanced by the flywheel. You MUST have the correct flywheel for the engine size -- they CANNOT be interchanged! To find the engine size, look or feel on the side of the engine in the center, just under the engine mount plate on the side of the block. The displacement is cast there in 2" or so tall numbers. The engine may have been changed from the original 343 to a 360. I'm mainly an AMC six guy, but IIRC the flexplate on all the AMC engine will only bolt to the crank one way (at least one bolt is off on the circle). This applies to sixes and V-8s (72 and later six and V-8 use same crank flange bolt pattern and bell housing pattern). Ifyou have the correct flexplate, youshold be fine. You can get another flexplate from www.amclives.com. Make sure of your engine size first! You could have a bad balancer, it could have slipped, so check that too.

The AMC 360 came out in 1970 along with the 304. Prior to that was the 66-69 290, 67-69 343, 68-69 390. The 390 was made with special pistons in 1970, the 401 replaced it in 1974. There are three generations of AMC V-8s:

GEN-1 -- 56-61 250, 63-66 287, 57-66 327. All share same block design with different bores (3.50", 3.75", 4.00" respectively) and the exact same forged crank and rods. The 250 had solid lifters, 287/327 hydraulic. This is a large engine for the displacement, similar in physical size to a big block Chevy or Ford Y-block. Distributor is in the rear, as is the oil pump.

GEN-2 -- 66-69 290, 67-69 343, 68-69 390. Same basic block, differen bores and strokes for each. Totally different block than the GEN-1. The only thing this engine shares with the GEN-1 is the bore centers (so that the boring tooling could be reused). It's often called a "mid block" because it is most similar to other US makes small blocks, but uses a big block bore center measurement. Very good, modern design when it first appeared. Distributor is in the front on the left side of the timing cover. Oil pump is on the lower right of the timing cover, like a Buick. Heads have rectangular exhaust ports and are held on with 7/16" bolts.

GEN-3 -- 70-78 304, 70-91 360, 70 390, 71-78 401. This engine was created by adding about 1/16" to the deck height of the GEN-2 block and changing the exhaust ports of the head. These changes necessitated a new, slightly wider intake and new exhaust manifolds. The exhaust port has a "dog leg" (or pork chop) shape which increases flow by about 15%. Heads are held on with 1/2" head bolts. GEN-3 heads will fit GEN-2 blocks by using step dowels or drilling/tapping the GEN-2 block for the bigger bolts. GEN-1 intake must be used with GEN-2 exhaust manifolds or headers. GEN-1 pushrods must also be used. The 390 uses a one year only piston to achieve the correct stroke. 70-mid 71 models have high compression, mid 71-91 all have 8:1 compression. This makes the 70-mid 71 heads highly sought after and expensive (high compression and dog-leg exhaust ports), but the smart AMCer knows you build an engine with the pistons for the desired compression. All AMC GEN-3 heads flow very good, roughly equivalent to Chevy LS-1 heads. 360-401 use the same heads (also 343-390 GEN-2), 304 (and 290 GEN-2) use a smaller valve head and different casting. The big valve heads will fit the small engines, but the top of the bore must be notched to clear the valves. This leads to shrouding, which negates any gain from the larger valves. In other words, it's not worth the effort.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:48 PM

Javelin vibration

Mainly in six cyl engine??Your an absolutly gurú of the American motor company ,thank you very much for the info ,but there is only one more question,if the engine is a 343 how do I know if its the rigth flexplate,I went to the web you send me and they don't have any picture of the flexplate for the 343?Maybe you have a picture of it?or know about someone who cuold have it.You don't know how valuable is the information you gave to me.Most if you know that I'm in south america were the only AMC we see are jeeps and these Javelin '69 is very rare,Thanks again!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:44 AM

If the engine is being rebuilt, a shop can balance the crank and flexplate together. That way it doesn't matter what flexplate you start with, but doesn't help if the engine isn't coming apart. I'm not sure ifthere is a part number on the flexplate or not. I'll check with my V-8 buddies and find out, and if it's there what the number is.

Does this car have the original transmission? It would be a Borg-Warner automatic with a cast iron case (but aluminum bell housing and tailshaft housing -- just center main body is iron). If it has a Chrysler auto it has been changed. I guess you have made sure the flexplate and converter bolts are tight?

Last edited by farna; 10-13-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:02 AM

Got this from an AMC V-8 friend. If you have a pic you may want to send it to him.

"I went through the hassle of the flexplates about 2 years ago on a 343. What I found is that the flexplate had no weights at all. It had 4 large holes for balancing. Other than that, it was a regular plate. It had
4 holes from the torque converter as well. They may be an additional small hole here or there for balancing.

I can't tell you for sure about the balancer. I had mine sent out and rebuilt to www.damperdoctor.com and that thing came out great. It did reduce some midrange vibration as well.

If I had a picture of the flexplate I'd be able to tell you for sure if it's right or not. Spent plenty of time under my Javelin when I had it.

Mike Serpe [mserpe@mchsi.com]"

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.