Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 69 mustang
Thread: 69 mustang
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2003, 01:48 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sorry BBB...something just came over me?

If the car is clean and original, your looking at a market value of anywhere between $15-$20,000.

The engine (428CJ) was designed in 1968 by Carrol Shelby to offer fresh competition to the "new" Chevy 396. They used the engine starting about half-way into the 1968 model year, from what I've read. They stuck it in a whole bunch of cars, including the big ol' T-birds and Lincolns.

Ford had a heck of a time squeezing that engine into the '68 Mustangs, but actually did do it through MANUAL re-configuration of the shock towers and front axle (moved it forward some 3"), AT THE FACTORY. So if you ever see a '68 'Stang with a 428 CJ, it is worth a fortune, and they do exist. They are probably about as rare as the '92 SHO Station Wagon which Ford coined "experimental". A few of those made it to the streets too.

So that is why they redesigned the Mustang for '69 (they just redesigned in '67), and even that was still considered too small (so rumored wisdom says) for the engine, so they resized the 'Stang bigger again in '71. But I think they made it toooo big that go 'round! After '73, it was all downhill until '84.

Why the interest in 'Stangs? I drive a '74 F-100 with a Pony engine and trans. It does not act or perform like a truck, but instead think's its a car. So I'm stuck with it and I have to lean toward building it like a Mustang instead of an F-100.

PS - Just take some snapshots and go to Kinko's and get them scanned to CD or floppy instead of buying a digital camera. You need to shop and try out digital cameras before you buy...the better ones will run you some good change, so take your time.