Hot Rod Forum banner

69 mustang

12K views 69 replies 13 participants last post by  mike69scj 
#1 ·
My first post here:D I dont know much about mustangs, but I found one today that I bought. I need help with the fender tag codes here is the way the fender tag on the passenger fender looks

3 21l 63c 3A

9t02r132263 F Dk Aqua M

PB GT DE TT CL RM MO MC

Can you help tell me any thing about this car, I know its a 69 mustang mach 1 but not much else.

Thanks Mike

I was told it was a 428 scj car but how can you tell?

Thanks mike

#31 ·
A diamond in the rough, gotta love it!;) What a beaut! :)

Thanks for sharing Mike, keep us posted on your progress. Reminds me of my old 69, except it wasn't a big block with the shaker...only a lowly 351W.

Sniff...why did I ever sell that car...sniff.

Oh now I remember, I blew three engines out of it because of the crappy factory tach. Don't trust it.:mad:

Wouldn't be thinking of selling her are you:mwink: .

#33 ·
looks like a keeper to me........

please keep us updated on the progress of this beaut.

i'm curious to see what you'll find when you pull the engine. i'm dying to know...........:thumbup:

awesome car in those pics. might make a good project of the week sometime maybe..... take care of it.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

#35 ·
Yup its a diamond in the rough. Guess I have to eat my words!

It really is beautiful, and you probably stole it from the guy, huh? You definitely got a keeper there Mike. If you restore it, you will have one of the all time classics. I'm jealous too! I wish I could find something like that that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

For real fella...keep it and build it back. You'll grow to really like Fords. Its a process. I was pretty sold on Chevy's, and I still have one that I love dearly, but these kind of Fords definitely get you re-thinking the "Blue Oval" stuff for the better.

Good luck and thanks loads for sharing!

#36 · (Edited)
Man some people got all the luck!:drool: :drool: Well I checked on what I could find laying around the house. Here is what I found in my info...

Body code 63C = Mach1 , Bench seat
Interior 3A = Mach1 black , knitted vinyl
Exterior F = Gulfstream Aqua (could not acount for the #5)
Axle R = 3.25 limited slip
trans U = C6 auto
DSO 22 = (district which ordered car) Charlotte
Engine R = 428 Ram-Air (CJ or SCJ)
Assembly plant T (2nd # in VIN) = Metuchen (my book on assembly plant codes only goes back to '73 but I assume '69 would have been the same)

The only odd thing I came accross was according to a book I have the 3rd and 4th digits of the VIN are your Body Serial code which should be 05 for a Mach1 but yours is 02. Books have been known to be have mistakes. Whether she's a CJ or a SCJ doesn't even matter, she's still a keeper. I need to go cry now, I can't look at the pictures any more.
Where's Chuck when you need a hug.:( :D

PS. Double checked some stuff. Drag Pack came with either a 3.91:1 or a 4.30:1 gear ratio. Most likely you have a 428 Ram-Air Cobra Jet. I'm still droolin'. :drool:

#37 · (Edited)
A couple of clarifications.The 63C is actually the body code for Mach I w/highback buckets(they only came with highbacks). In '69 ( the first year) Mach I's used the fastback code in the serial #, 02,they didn't start using the 05 until 1970. The 5 in the paint code is for the matte black on the hood. The SCJ did only come with a 3.91 or 4.30 gear and had an external oil cooler in front of the radiator support, so it is only a CJ. You could have probably ordered a SCJ with a different gear, but it would have a special order code to signify it. But my '69 CJ (which came with a 3.91, so that wasn't a certainty that you had an SCJ, just that SCJ's only came with those gears) ate many a SCJ's at the strip. I think the extra rotating weight of the capscrew rods, while giving more durability, didn't rev as quick as the regular CJ. Nice find, I would keep it if I were you, looks like it needs some work, but it'll be worth it.
One final point of history, Carroll Shelby had nothing to do with the developement of the 428CJ, that credit goes to Tasca Ford. They were modifying the 390 GT's to run with the 396's and used parts from Ford's parts inventory to produce the package and installed it at the dealer. When Hot Rod tested it in '67 they ran it in an article titled "Do you think Ford should build this car" or something similar, and had a little ballot you could fill out and send to Ford. Apparently they were inundated with ballots and decided to produce it. It became standard in the GT500's(which were changed to KR's when the CJ was installed) mid '68 when they became a production engine in the 'stang. Ford owned the Cobra name and applied it to the engine because they knew the advertising impact it carried, but CS had nothing to do with it.Actually by 1968 the Shelby Mustangs weren't even made by him, they were made in Michigan at a Ford subcontractor.

#40 ·
I take my hat off to Mike for sticking around after that lashing from Kaylah, its a wonder anyone sticks around to post twice, and yes, I am suitably annoyed, if this is how newbies are treated then I guess you don't need a newbie forum at all, more of a "Can you take a whippin'" Forum, I seem to remember I was branded a troll as well, and I have kids older than most on this forum.

#41 ·
With all do respect, I have to put in a word for Kaylah. She did get a little off the gun there ,but has some great posts and with the recent troll infestations,was a little touchy. By the way,we just bought a Superformance Cobra that is mfg.'d in SA, it is one beautiful piece of work,almost Art.

#42 ·
woodz428 said:
Dmorris,yes the Metuchen was right. Hope I didn't sound like a ball buster, just wanted to get the correct info out.
No problem, I wasn't 100% sure on all the info anyway. Cleared up the 05 thing in the VIN.:D And as for Moby as well who cried to me in earlier posts after joining, like I said before "that's the breaks". Mike stuck it out because he is legit. 80% of our members all had to prove themselves at some point after joining. The 13 yr old kids with the supposed 454 SS Chevelle that they made up are the one that fade away. Almost two years ago when I joined up I wasn't hammered in quite the same way, oh wait that's right I had to submit a whole gallery of pictures to prove myself when I joined up. Since you feel so strongly to defend the poor defenseless people of the world maybe you should write to Jon and express that you think that we should all have to submit pictures and proof of who we are before being allowed to post so that this 'unnecessary' questioning of members is discontinnued. Yes Kaylah was a bit rough, but many of us are tired of a bunch of grade school kids who all claim to own vintage 327 camaros, 454 Vettes (number matching-lol), Shelby GT500's, etc., etc.. Like I have said many times before, people who share the 'passion' and have nothing to hide usually stick around and even can get some satisfaction from squashing the disbelievers (it's a guy thing). If you don't like it that is your right but instead of complaining how about coming up with a solution (maybe the one I mentioned).

#43 ·
As much as I hate to agree with DMorris, since we have had our disagreements, I have to this time. There are alot of young kids that are trying to make a name for themselves by getting on and posting nonsense, like saying that they bought a 67 Chevelle (with a 390 and TH400...LOL) for $50.00 and want all kinds of info on them. In most cases by the time you get 1/4 of the way thru the posts you see that they are full of crap. Then they have a habit of carrying on like, well.....KIDS. Most regular members try to help out as much as they can. I, like many, will try to research in my books to locate info for someone that truely needs/wants it. I hate to do it for someone that is playing games. Sometimes you really can't tell the fakes from the real thing.

OH.... almost forgot. I wish I could find a deal on something like that. What a beauty that would be if it was restored original.

#44 ·
If I keep the car would you suggest that I pull the motor before I try to start it since it has not been started in 13 years? Or should I give it a tune up and try to get it running? What would you do with a car that as not ran in so long? I would really hate to mess up anything on the engine.

Thanks Mike

PS Yes Kaylah was very hard on me in the beginning but she apologized. Since kaylah looks as good as she does I have to forgive her:D .

#45 ·
Since the car needs work and from the pics some of it is under the hood,I'd probably pull it and check it out before starting it. I know that may be a hard thing to resist so if you decide to try it, pull the plugs and squirt some light oil (atf would work) in the cylinders and get an old dist.,remove the gear and top points cam to make an oil pump primer. Prime the engine (with a new oil filter and fresh oil) and turn it over by hand a few times and then give it a try after reinstalling the dist.(to make sure the timing doesn't get off put the dist. in prior to turning it over by hand).

#46 ·
You can use a 1/4" drive socket on a long extension to turn the pump. Just have to make sure that the socket doesn't fall off. I would definately make sure it turns good by hand before trying to start it. Would hate to hear that something got messed up otherwise.

As an added note, watch for fuel leaking at the carb, and make sure you have fresh gas in the tank. It is hard to get something like that and not hear it run before you tear into it.

Good Luck

#47 ·
Woodz428, whereabouts did the cobra come from in SA, there are about 3 places that I have heard of, and 1 is here in my town, High-tech.

#48 ·
Funny how things happen huh? Mike is the first guy I ever lit into. Here this guy who knows nothing about Fords goes walking down the street, and its like this two-ton GEM of a 'Stang falls from the heavens right in front of him. Not missing a step, "Chevy Mike" says "well that don't look too bad...sure I'll take it...I can always sell it."

Gawd that gets my goat! Some of us look day and night left and right, and nothing but rusty classic shells for 3 grand! Here, what we dream about falls into Mr. Chevy's lap. Then he doesn't even know what he has! It still gets me mad! Then he has the audacity to ask "Uh? Should I keep it?" OOOOOHHHHHH!

Just ribbing you Mike. But don't you EVER EVEN think of selling it until you enjoy it for a while.

#50 ·
Yeah thats the company here in P E. That is so cool, to think that a cobra made here, in my town, in now sitting in your garage.
Someone gave me Jim's number a while back when I was looking for some parts for my cougar, never managed to get hold of him tho'. Please post a pic. I have some here of our local AC Cobra's, I will see if I can find them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.