69 mustang - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 04:47 PM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sorry for slappin' your chops fella...

But the story sounded so unbelievable for a first post, and with the mispellings, and knowing for sure that an "R" is a 428CJ and how rare they are, well it sounded too too trollish to me!

All your vin numbers do match the '69 CJ. Another thing that blew my cogs was how can ANYONE NOT KNOW what a 428 sitting in a Mustang looks like...Heck its nothing but engine!

I'm still a bit skeptical...we had this jerk talking about BBC's in a Corvette..454 to be exact, and he was nothing but some teenage misfit trying to raise eyebrows. He/she has still been showing up here under assumed names and getting booted.

If you can, why don't you post some pictures so we can see that you and your story are for real. Please don't say you're from Canada and start talking about the US Dollar and exchange rate!

PS - The spoiler was an option...some have some don't.

Kiss and make up?
Attached Images

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

Dad gum! Looks like Kaylah took my whip when I wasn't lookin!
Old 10-18-2003, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

Kaylah, I don't have a digital camera. Just for you ill get one tomorrow and snap some pictures. Ill try to post them tomorrow if I figure out how. The car is for real, now I'm starting to wonder if I should keep or sell. my original plan was to buy it and resale but the more I find out about it, It might be worth keeping. Ill post picture as soon as i can. If I don't get them tomorrow Ill be gone Mon and Tues so Ill post them Wednesday.

Thanks Mike
Old 10-19-2003, 12:48 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

Sorry BBB...something just came over me?

If the car is clean and original, your looking at a market value of anywhere between $15-$20,000.

The engine (428CJ) was designed in 1968 by Carrol Shelby to offer fresh competition to the "new" Chevy 396. They used the engine starting about half-way into the 1968 model year, from what I've read. They stuck it in a whole bunch of cars, including the big ol' T-birds and Lincolns.

Ford had a heck of a time squeezing that engine into the '68 Mustangs, but actually did do it through MANUAL re-configuration of the shock towers and front axle (moved it forward some 3"), AT THE FACTORY. So if you ever see a '68 'Stang with a 428 CJ, it is worth a fortune, and they do exist. They are probably about as rare as the '92 SHO Station Wagon which Ford coined "experimental". A few of those made it to the streets too.

So that is why they redesigned the Mustang for '69 (they just redesigned in '67), and even that was still considered too small (so rumored wisdom says) for the engine, so they resized the 'Stang bigger again in '71. But I think they made it toooo big that go 'round! After '73, it was all downhill until '84.

Why the interest in 'Stangs? I drive a '74 F-100 with a Pony engine and trans. It does not act or perform like a truck, but instead think's its a car. So I'm stuck with it and I have to lean toward building it like a Mustang instead of an F-100.

PS - Just take some snapshots and go to Kinko's and get them scanned to CD or floppy instead of buying a digital camera. You need to shop and try out digital cameras before you buy...the better ones will run you some good change, so take your time.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:19 AM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

Speaking of pics, I took some more yesterday at a show and I'm trying to figure out how to get them from my Kodak easy share program to the album. I'm better with wrenches than a computer.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

Kaylah, I know that there were about 72000 mach 1's in 69. I all so read that there were 13000 or so mustangs in 69 with 428's. Do you know the productions numbers for 69 mustang mach1's with 428 super cobra jets. It been explained to me the there were 428 cj and super cj the difference being one with no ram air and ones with ram air, different crank and rods, but advertised the same power. Please correct me if im mistaking.

Thanks Mike
Old 10-20-2003, 05:21 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

How about some pictures. At 32yrs old you should have a digital camara by now. Maybe some engine shots, shots of door tag, etc. You can afford to whip out $7000 for a car but not $60 for a camara?

PS. According to my info an R code mustang had a 428 Ram-Air, either CJ or SCJ. The Mach 1 body style debuted in 1969 and came standard with a 351 cid V8 but could also be had with the 428 Cobra Jet, which now came in three states of tune. The first was a non-Ram Air version, followed by the Ram-Air version which breathed through a shaker hood scoop. Topping the list was the new Super Cobra Jet which came with the Drag Pack option. The Super Cobra Jet used the shaker hood scoop, a modified crankshaft and stronger connecting rods. The Drag Pack also came with limited-slip 3.91:1 or 4.30:1 rear axles and no air conditioning.

Last edited by dmorris1200; 10-20-2003 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Its not the money thing for the camera i just hadn't felt comfortable with buying one. My old camera works fine. The car does have the ram air shaker hood. Ill have more info on it tomorrow Im going to pick it up and bring it to my house. Should have pics tomorrow too.

Thanks mike
Old 10-20-2003, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

With the shaker hood she could be either a CJ or SCJ, according to my sources the Drag Pack Option is the key. If factory A/C equipted, no Drag Pack option.

Old 10-20-2003, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

I dont think it has A/C but ill know tomorrow. Do you know how many mach1's were made with 428 ram air?

Thanks mike
Old 10-20-2003, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

One article I have says 72,455 Mach1's, another says 72,458
Mach1's were produced in '69. Nothing I have in print shows the breakdown between 351's and the three versions of the 428. I have 852 or 858 Boss 429's made and 1,628 or 1,934 Boss 302's made in '69. As you can see it's hard to tell for sure, different books quote different figures.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Heres the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carengine.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	394  
Old 10-23-2003, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Pic 2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carvin.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	395  
Old 10-23-2003, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

pic 3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	car1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	396  
Old 10-23-2003, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

pic 4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carpass.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	397  

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.