'69 Mustang Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Last journal entry: 69 Mustang
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'69 Mustang Build

Working on restoring the í69 Mustang I just bought and I need some advice. Based on everything Iíve read and everyone Iíve talked with, this is a bad combo. Iím not looking for a strip car, just a good strong Stang for weekend playing. I want to try and find used parts from salvage yards or personal sellers without spending a lot of money on aftermarket parts (GT40ís, etc.). I would rather run headers opposed to an iron manifold, but I have very little room on the driver side, and I donít think I will be able to squeeze headers in there. I was told the casting for these heads and exhaust were probably the worst, so what would be a good set of stock heads and manifolds would improve the performance of the car?
351W Block Ė D4AE-6015-AA8
Exhaust Manifold Ė C60E 9431 F
Heads Ė D80E AB
Carb Ė Holley 600 cfm
After I get this worked out, I will be looking for a good mild cam that will give me a little added performance and nice sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0479.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	51760  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy 84
Working on restoring the �69 Mustang I just bought and I need some advice. Based on everything I�ve read and everyone I�ve talked with, this is a bad combo. I�m not looking for a strip car, just a good strong Stang for weekend playing. I want to try and find used parts from salvage yards or personal sellers without spending a lot of money on aftermarket parts (GT40�s, etc.). I would rather run headers opposed to an iron manifold, but I have very little room on the driver side, and I don�t think I will be able to squeeze headers in there. I was told the casting for these heads and exhaust were probably the worst, so what would be a good set of stock heads and manifolds would improve the performance of the car?
351W Block � D4AE-6015-AA8
Exhaust Manifold � C60E 9431 F
Heads � D80E AB
Carb � Holley 600 cfm
After I get this worked out, I will be looking for a good mild cam that will give me a little added performance and nice sound.
Well you have a 74 block and 66 casting manifold which won't be a 351 w manifold, Heads are 78 heads. The block will be fine if it checks out at the machine shop and a different set of heads would be best IMHO. You can run those heads if you have to but not that good JMO. If you could find a decent set of 69/70 maybe 71 casting heads would be good for what you want.JMO
And you should be able to run headers with no problem in that 69 the engine bay is set -up for a Windsor or even a big block will fit.
"Just how radical of a street car do you want" ?
If you shop around you can get a decent set of heads fairly cheap.

Cole
Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Yes, after I checked all the casting numbers, I saw they were all mis-matched also. I'm not looking for a really radical car. Just something with a quick take off and nice little rumble. No racing. I've already pulled the engine and maybe it was sitting in the bay wrong, but I had some clearance on the pass side, but the drvr side was tight!! However, my question is that I've been told repeatedly that GT40s would not be a good set of heads for a 351W. I know aftermarket heads would be better ofcourse, but I'd rather find some cheaper stock heads that would give me some decent performance since I'm not looking for a street racer or anything.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

GT40s are some of the best factory heads. The GT40Ps were a touch better, but the spark plug angles cause interference with normal headers. GT40s will be a good start, offer better low end then larger ported aluminums, and can even be improved with a little cleanup on the exhaust side to remove the AIR protrusions. Low end torque is where the fun is when on the street. I'm not sure why they would get a bad rap for a 351 versus 302 as the won't know what they're bolted to, but for the needs you posted, they should do fine unless you want/need to spend all day at 5-6k RPMs.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

Thanks. One last question, and I think that will clear up all my questions. I have a guy trying to sell me a set of GT40s that he was going to use on a 351W, but he found a set of 351W heads. So are the 351W heads better than the GT40s?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks. One last question, and I think that will clear up all my questions. I have a guy trying to sell me a set of GT40s that he was going to use on a 351W, but he found a set of 351W heads. So are the 351W heads better than the GT40s?
Depends on what casting they are. JMO

Cole
Old 01-17-2011, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch
GT40s are some of the best factory heads. The GT40Ps were a touch better, but the spark plug angles cause interference with normal headers. GT40s will be a good start, offer better low end then larger ported aluminums, and can even be improved with a little cleanup on the exhaust side to remove the AIR protrusions. Low end torque is where the fun is when on the street. I'm not sure why they would get a bad rap for a 351 versus 302 as the won't know what they're bolted to, but for the needs you posted, they should do fine unless you want/need to spend all day at 5-6k RPMs.
I alway's liked the GT40s also.
Heck the lightning had the windsor with GT40s on them. I had a 93 and man that truck was a blast to drive.
Cole
Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I use these guys for Ford cams..:
http://www.camresearchcorp.com/

The GT4o heads are good but be a bit careful as these are ready to go and work fine.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/World-...eads,1340.html

One of the things i have found the hard way is that I may be better off to just bite it and buy a good set of heads as by the time i pay for the machine work on a set of OEM heads I have spent almost as much..

Sam
Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
I use these guys for Ford cams..:
http://www.camresearchcorp.com/

The GT4o heads are good but be a bit careful as these are ready to go and work fine.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/World-...eads,1340.html

One of the things i have found the hard way is that I may be better off to just bite it and buy a good set of heads as by the time i pay for the machine work on a set of OEM heads I have spent almost as much..

Sam

X2 Sam, a good set of heads is a investinent thats how i see it, If you can afford it spend the money now cause it don't take long to get a wad in a set of heads of any kind. IMHO

Cole
Old 01-17-2011, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

I agree that you get what you pay for. Right now, there's just so much that needs to be done to the car(body and engine), that I dont want to put a large amount of money in heads alone. For right now, I'm going to try and find either a set of 351W heads (69-70), or a set of GT40s. After I have the car driveable, I will try to come back and upgrade the heads. But I really appreciate the advice. I've priced some aluminum aftermarket heads, and they can get pretty pricey.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I agree that you get what you pay for. Right now, there's just so much that needs to be done to the car(body and engine), that I dont want to put a large amount of money in heads alone. For right now, I'm going to try and find either a set of 351W heads (69-70), or a set of GT40s. After I have the car driveable, I will try to come back and upgrade the heads. But I really appreciate the advice. I've priced some aluminum aftermarket heads, and they can get pretty pricey.
I can understand that been there before myself.

Cole
Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

The C9, D0 and D5 cast 351 heads used from 69 through 77 should all be ok for early model heads. They had 60.4 cc combustion chambers and 1.84/1.54 OD valves. They are the best early model Windsor heads that were made. Most of them will have to be reworked to make a good set of heads out of them.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

There are many headers to fit the car but they are a pain to install and keep tight, its a snug fit as you found out. I had a 69 and to get the headers to bolt on you had to raise the motor on the drivers side and start the bolts then slowly lower the engine to get a final tighten on them. I believe I had to make a custom 7/16" wrench to fit. Changing spark plugs was a real treat!

Just makes sure you can get headers to fit the heads you want in that car, its a tight fit. I am still amazed they put a 429 SCJ in those cars, there is barely room for even a 351W!

How is the drivers side motor mount/shock tower, they all tear eventually and usually need to be reinforced/welded especially if it was driven hard or had a four speed. Best to look over the front clip closely and check the lower control arms etc. These cars don't take V8 power well without mods to the subframe and shock tower...its a flexy flier! Just remember its a Maverick chassis designed for a I6 so V8's twist the front clip all out of whack and the control arms are very stressed.

Just make sure you have a solid chassis to bolt your new power into, nothing worse than dumping a whole bunch of coin into a good motor only to twist the frame because the shock tower rips off (and dents the hood!) or ruin the fender because a lower control arm fails and the tire gets shoved into it...usually the oil pan takes the hit in that scenario too!

Ouch!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Heads

I talked to my machine shop today he had some different advice for me. He said that the D8 heads I have are'nt great, but he said that just for a weekend toy, he said I would'nt see a big difference between the D8s and the GT40s. He concurred that the 40s do flow better, but if I did a good 3 angle valve job on the heads, there would'nt be that big of a difference. Does anyone agree with that?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.