Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '69 mustang torque box replacement
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 11:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

jt-I have totally rebuilt two 64-1/2 mustangs in the past,one a nearly rust free car but the first one needed a lot in the way of panel and frame repair. If you have not bought your replacement parts yet I would suggest you be very careful when you do as I found out the hard way that all the parts suppliers do not sell the same quality parts. If you have already removed the frame pieces you could run into the same problem that I did with parts that only came close to fitting. I finally figured out that the reason I could not get anything to line up properly was due to a frame rail that was formed 1/8" too narrow and a fender apron that only closely resembled the original. These parts came from a major supplier(mustangs unlimited)and some were the so-called better quality parts(floor pans)which fit ok but had seat belt anchors and indents for the park brake cable brackets located in the wrong place. In fairness to mustangs unlimited they offered to take these parts back but in my opinion they should not sell junk like this in the first place. I ended up reordering from another supplier(NPD) that sells American designers brand American made parts and the quality difference was apparent when I opened the box, they fit! I am not trying to plug for any supplier as more than one sells these parts but one needs to ask before ordering. It is easy to see the alignment problems one can encounter when replacing frame and suspension parts and when the replacements don't fit it can be a nightmare that is why I try to pass on my experience with bad quality imports whenever I can.