Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '69 mustang torque box replacement
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 05:40 PM
John's '69 Mustang

Last journal entry: few more
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

torque box's

red65,

Well you're getting real time info here today. I just gave up on fitting the torque box. The top of the left box at the bend just in front of the spot welds is the problem. The bend needs to be closer to the top edge, it's too low. In order to get the
&$%*@ thing to fit i'm going to have to cut the spot welds free, rebend the end and reweld it. Otherwise all other dimensions appear to be good. There is simply no way it's going to fit as well as the original but I want it as close as possible.

I checked out that site you referenced on the '69 rebuild. He did a great job documenting his work. Not sure I agree with the way he did everything, but it's likely he wouldn't agree with what I'm doing either. I wouldn't have cut out both floors at the same time nor would I butt weld the joints on the quarter panels. A lap joint if done properly is not very obvious on the q panels unless you look for it. You can buy pneumatic crimpers for building the perfect lap joint and end up with a very strong weld. On the other hand there is something satisfying about knowing the joint is more difficult to detect as in the case of a well ground butt weld. I wish he had shown close ups of his finished weld as it might help me to change my mind on my approach.

I took some pictures today of what I've done on the drivers side floor, floor support and some material replacement in advance of the torque box installation. I'll try to get them posted this week. Let me know what you think and thanks for the reply once again.
J.T.