'69 Ranchero resto project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

'69 Ranchero resto project

Let me preface this by saying it's been since shortly after high school since I have done any significant wrenching on any engine, I am now 41, so please forgive my ignorance. Things are coming back to me slowly but surely.

I am helping my 14 y/o son restore a '69 Ranchero for his first car. Currently we are having trouble keeping the engine running. If I poor a small bit of gas into the carb or hit it with a little carb & choke cleaner, we can get it to fire up and it will run very briefly but it won't stay idling long enough to throw it on a timing gun or even to adjust the fuel/air mix.
There's definately fuel getting to to the carb so it's not the fuel pump and I have a new fuel filter on so that's not clogged either (pulled the line loose post fuel filter and plenty of fuel in the line).
Also, the oil pressure light came on after a few attempts at getting it to stay running. The wiring on the car is a mess so I'm not sure if that's of any significance.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The wiring could be a problem, how far are you planning on going with this car?

Oh and welcome to the forum

Ray
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You may be getting fuel to the carb, but it sounds to me like it isnt getting through the carb to the engine.....Chances are the float/needle seat are stuck not allowing the carb to fill....I would take the carb apart and put a rebuild kit in it....Its not that hard to do.
Is it a 2 bbl or 4 bbl?

Budget RVs
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
The wiring could be a problem, how far are you planning on going with this car?

Oh and welcome to the forum

Ray
Thanks!

We're planning on getting it road worthy by his 16th birthday for the short term. Long term, my son would like to make it a show quality car.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
You may be getting fuel to the carb, but it sounds to me like it isnt getting through the carb to the engine.....Chances are the float/needle seat are stuck not allowing the carb to fill....I would take the carb apart and put a rebuild kit in it....Its not that hard to do.
Is it a 2 bbl or 4 bbl?
It's a 4 bbl. We bought the carb from a guy that rebuilds them for living. When we bought it, the guy threw it on an engine and fired it up to show it was in good working order.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahoney View Post
If I poor a small bit of gas into the carb or hit it with a little carb & choke cleaner, we can get it to fire up and it will run very briefly but it won't stay idling long enough to throw it on a timing gun or even to adjust the fuel/air mix.
There's definately fuel getting to to the carb so it's not the fuel pump and I have a new fuel filter on so that's not clogged either (pulled the line loose post fuel filter and plenty of fuel in the line).

Any suggestions?
If it will run when you pour gas down the carb.....its a fuel problem.....the gas isnt getting into the engine.

You may have other problems too, but that is why the engine wont run

Budget RVs
Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahoney View Post
It's a 4 bbl. We bought the carb from a guy that rebuilds them for living. When we bought it, the guy threw it on an engine and fired it up to show it was in good working order.
That's great to hear about another father son project...my son and I did one back in 98...it wasn't a restoration, just a driver but many memories that we both have and still talk about today. He recently bought a 70 Challenger and wants me involved in the restoration. He lives a cross the country but I'll make every effort to lend a hand. These are the moments that you build a stronger relationship on and cherish them dearly...if you don't there aren't many second chances.

Ray
Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Is it a 2 bbl or 4 bbl?
Ok, so I checked the fuel pressure and it seems to be just fine. Plenty of fuel getting to the carb. If the carb is basically new (brand new rebuild and tested), what is the next thing I should check?

Also on a side note, the oil pressure light keeps kicking on after a few times trying to keep it running. Don't think this would be what is keeping it from staying started but wondering what would cause this.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

Look down the venturi of the carb, pump the accelerator and see if gas is spraying into the engine....If it is, you are getting gas into the engine and it should start.

Budget RVs
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM

Check for pump flow. I suspect a strainer in the tank on the suction line.

Pat
Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM View Post
Check for pump flow. I suspect a strainer in the tank on the suction line.

Pat
Well, I'm starting to suspect the fuel pump after all. After talking with a mechanic friend of mine, he reminded me that flow and pressure are two totally different things. When I disconnect the fuel line from the carb and have my son crank the engine, the fuel comes out more like when you poor out an old soda from a bottle, lots coming out but not really any pressure.

Also, after filling the bottle about a quarter of the way, I noticed the fuel looked more like flat orange soda than the clear yellow it should be. Looks like we'll be dropping the tank and cleaning it out.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:50 PM

'69 Ranchero frustration

Ok, so I have replaced fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel pump and have dropped the tank and had it cleaned. The car will STILL not start! It will crank until the cows come home and if I poor a little fuel in the carb it will start and run briefly but that's as good as it gets.

Can anyone offer me another option to get this problem resolved?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

If your getting fuel to the Carb...then, I know you saw the Carb running, I would suspect the Carb. Just for poop's and giggles, can you try a different Carb? You've done everything else short of putting fuel injection on it. Do the butterfly valves open when you pump the accelerator?

Ray
Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
If your getting fuel to the Carb...then, I know you saw the Carb running, I would suspect the Carb. Just for poop's and giggles, can you try a different Carb? You've done everything else short of putting fuel injection on it. Do the butterfly valves open when you pump the accelerator?

Ray
don't have a different carb to try. butterflies are working.

in a new twist, I closed the secondaries and this time, without pouring any fuel in the carb or using carb cleaner, for a moment it acted like it was gonna start, then went back to just cranking with no action.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OKay...I'm fairly confident that the Carb you have has vacuum secondaries...why should you have to close them...they should be closed until you step on the gas and the vacuum opens them...Do you have your vacuum lines hooked up right? Try removing the vacuum lines to the secondaries and see if it starts.

It's got to be at the Carb...I'd give that a try...don't just take the vacuum lines off...plug them up and the vacuum inlet to the Carb.

On a side note,,,this Summer when i was out visiting family, my nephew brought his Corvette to me because he said it didn't have any power...My first suggestion to him was that it was a 1980...none of them had power...that didn't go over well, so I opened the hood and he didn't even have a vacuum line to his secondaries...hooked the lines up and he thought he had a rocket ship...in your case, if the secondaries are open, you may be getting more air than fuel and it's like a vacuum leak that your dealing with...that can cause any motor to stall out.

Ray

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.