69 Shelby Lacquer AND Enamel? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,222 Times in 1,077 Posts
69 Shelby Lacquer AND Enamel?

From the "restomod" thread it looks like there are some Mustang/Shelby guys on here, maybe you could clarify something for me.

I have done a number of Mustangs and Shelbys but never have gotten "into" them. Back about 1985 or so I did a complete paint on a super nice original 69 Shelby GT500 Convertible (four speed with a "drag pack") that was Grabber Green. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about repainting this car because it was such a nice original car with only dings here and there but I was paid to do it, so I did it.

Anyway, when stripping off the sticker stripes down the side I was using 3m stripe remover (which was state of the art back then, junk today) and it attacked the paint on the fender. The door was fine, but the fenders paint was eaten by the remover. After further investigation it appeared that all the glass parts, hood, fenders, deck lid, end caps, scoops, all the parts installed by Shelby were lacquer while all the rest that was built by Ford was enamel.

Am I dreaming about this or did they really do that? The color a I remember was right on the money between the two.

By the way, this car was really not very fast, the guys 69 390 Cougar Eliminator was much faster (He had one with each motor available Boss302, 390, 351C, and 428)

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Back in the day

Brian,
Back in the day if my ole brain cells have not failed me..Ford used a baked enamel finish on their cars..All we had out here in the woods was the old laquer systems and yes one can get a good color and appearance match to the Ford finish using laquer..

So yup you are not dreaming..just having a nitemare

Shelby being a small shop that it was back then did do exactly that I would presume since they did not have that bake oven and fiberglass was in its infancy back then....

Honestly I would say this is one of those "watch out" deals when restoring older Fords as the shops did use laquer systems to make repairs..what we did was to repaint a whole fender or door or what ever to match the rest of the car..that is what I remember from those days..

OMT
Old 12-31-2005, 05:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't know what kind of paint was used but as far as I know the last Mustang built by Shelby was 1967. Ford took over with the 1968. That's one of the reasons why the 1967 is worth so much because it is the last true Shelby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.