69 Stingray..Won't start?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 05:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

69 Stingray

Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum as well as are issues with my new baby. I have 1969 "Drop Top" that gave me my first problem yesterday. I went to get a hair cut about 8 miles from the house on a beautiful 82 degree day. After making 2 other stops along the way, to drop off dry cleaning and get some cash, I parked my beauty on the curb in front of the establishment and went in to get my locks cut. The cut went well and after checking the oil before leaving civilization and a possible court of oil, I tried the ignition and NOTHING! A couple of plumbers pushed me so that I could pop the clutch and get home. Still Nothing! So now I know that we have a switch problem. Can someone tell me where the Clutch Override and any other potential issues are besides "Grounding issues". I am an electrician by trade and understand the plastic car and rubber mount issues, so I have checked them. We are all good I also have a strong battery so that potential issue is out too. I looked under the dash breifly last night and cannot see a switch outwardly that I need to check. I do see that the clutch linkage rod moves through the firewall and I have not had the time to get under the car and investigate the transmission. If someone would be so kind as to give me some direction as to where the Clutch Pedal Overide and the Neutral Safety switch are on the car, I would be grateful.

Johnny

Advertisement

Last edited by 69 Vette Man; 06-12-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if it was the clutch cut out, you would still be able to pop start it..what isn't working? sounds like a burnt up fuse link. interior dome lights, radio, headlights ect... any of that work?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM

Matt,

No the clutch start did not work. The radio and other electrical system did. The battery is a healthy 13 volts.

Johnny
Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

right, if it did, that would mean the clutch cut out was to blame............ turn the ignition on, and check for voltage at the coil, if there is none, somthing is amiss with the wiring or ignition switch.. switch is a likely cause
Old 06-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

The clutch over ride just keeps the starter from engaging without the clutch being depressed. You are not getting voltage to the coil.

The key is on the column in a 69 Vette and a small rod ... runs thru the column down to a external switch ... mounted on the column. I suspect that it is your problem.

I took this photo off eBay ... it is a 69 Vette column. See the switch I am talking about??? It is just below where the column bolts to the dash It is the silver looking box.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 06-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Hi guys..I am moving this to electrical forum..already some good tech on this issue but it does belong over there..

Sam
Old 06-13-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks Deuce!

I will take a look at the column after I have a well deserved end of week adult refreshment . Do you know where I might find a wedsite that has a library of shop drawing for my ride? I google searched and went through a few sites but did not find anything of use. Do you have the inside scoop???

Thanks agin'

Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
The clutch over ride just keeps the starter from engaging without the clutch being depressed. You are not getting voltage to the coil.

The key is on the column in a 69 Vette and a small rod ... runs thru the column down to a external switch ... mounted on the column. I suspect that it is your problem.

I took this photo off eBay ... it is a 69 Vette column. See the switch I am talking about??? It is just below where the column bolts to the dash It is the silver looking box.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks Guys

Matt, Sam and Deuce,

Thanks for great information. I will be working on the Vette tonight and will report back as to what the issue was.

Once again, thanks for all the great input!

Johnny
Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

To PROVE to yourself that there is nothing wrong with the engine and the starter ... just run a hot wire ( 12 volts ) to the coil and use a remote starter ( like the Snap-On one in the photo ) on the starter it. Hit the remote starter button and the engine should run ... be sure the transmission is in neutral and the wheels chocked or the parking brake applied

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce

To PROVE to yourself that there is nothing wrong with the engine and the starter ... just run a hot wire ( 12 volts ) to the coil and use a remote starter ( like the Snap-On one in the photo ) on the starter it. Hit the remote starter button and the engine should run ... be sure the transmission is in neutral and the wheels chocked or the parking brake applied
Since it is a standard, make sure it is not in gear before you use the remote starter

Chet
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

69 vette,

Does the amps gauge on the center dash move at all when you turn the ignition on?

Is there a dead spot in the starter? Try bumping the starter over down at the flywheel on the right side.

Last but not least, on the left side inner fender at the firewall on my '68 there is a small permanent silver fuse with two screws for connectors, check for continuity across these connectors. It is a main power fuse (30 amp). If you can't find it, I can send you a picture of it. Meanwhile, the 1970 Chassis Service Manual has a section in it on 69 Corvette's, I'll check for a schematic.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Please find attached two line art sketches of 69 Vette wiring diagram.

Hope that this works out for you. CU ED
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img008.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	30586   Click image for larger version

Name:	img009.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	30587  

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.