Hot Rod Forum banner

7.5 rear end performance question

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  M&M CUSTOM 
#1 ·
Hi , I'm new to this bulletin board and was looking for a little help. I'm in the process of building a peppy smallblock for my s-10, my question is I know this truck is equiped with a 7.5 rear end will this rear end stand up to a 400+ HP small block or should i look into an 8.5 set up? Thank you for any and all help.

#3 ·
It will certainly hold up to the engine, but will drastically lose dependability with each smoky burnout, tire squeal, and heavy right footed takeoff.

It is certainly a dependable axle behind a 4 cylinder, and will live for many miles behind a 6, but will not take more than that without some degree of help.

I have read on other forums I belong to, the 7.5 can hold up to some amount of racing even behind a big block but the only thing going for those guys is luck.

The later S-10's used the corporate 8.5 inch, or you could swap a disc brake equipped 8.8 ford axle out of a late model Explorer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.