7 wires - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 05:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

7 wires

I will try to keep this brief. I bought a 1985 4.3 liter Chevy V6 because it was carbureted. In 1986 Chevy went to fuel injection, but with it came the complications of fuel pumps in the gas tank and computers. OK... moving on... we checked the compression, replaced all pumps etc... and are double checking everything before trying to start the engine. There is one problem. I found a wiring diagram for the motor, and it shows seven wires leading into the distributor. Four of the wires are more/less together as a harness. In the diagram it shows the wires color coded, but there is no real explanation of their purpose. Then the diagram shows a "pink" wire which is the battery lead, and that is confirmed by writing on the distributor cap. Then the other two wires are a ground wire, and the tachometer wired, also confirmed on the cap in writing. So, what's the problem? Does anybody want to speculate about the other four wires in the harness assembly? Sensor wires from pollution devices? Any/all ideas and brain storming welcome.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Sounds like the computer (CCC3) connector.You need to get a distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance on it.Unless you want to run a computer controlled carb and distributor.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Ecu

So... if I got this right, that four wire harness plugs into some sort of computer that was located on the Chevy van? So I did a search of the statewide auto recyclers looking for the computer that would control my distributor. I came up with a whole bunch of information I don't understand. Can someone give me a crash course? I found what is called a "Computer Box Engine" or "Engine Computer" and finally, and ECM or a ECU..... Can I assume these are all the same thing? How do they work? Any/all help would be appreciated.... Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

After further review

It seems that as well as the computer, I will need all the sensors that feed it information as well.. I then think I would be better off finding a distributor with a vacuum advance... any suggestions?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor229
It seems that as well as the computer, I will need all the sensors that feed it information as well.. I then think I would be better off finding a distributor with a vacuum advance... any suggestions?
Absolutely get a plain distributor with vac advance and plain non electronic carb. Dont mess with the computer controll on this one. It will be a pain in the keester and wont help the car run any better.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 AM

Last photo:

carb and distributor

Thanks... it is pretty much the same advice I have gotten from several other sources as well... I have asked techs at both Summit and Speedway for advice and both have been real good on this build. I might also look around for a used distributor but prefer a new carb so I don't have to rebuild and take a chance...although a new distributor is not that much money either.... Thanks for the advice.... This is not going to happen until next fall because I do like to check out all the swap meets in the summer.... appreciate the help...

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.