Hot Rod Forum banner

70/71 Camaro/nova 12 Bolt Rear

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 · (Edited)
I Have A Chance To Buy A 12 Bolt Posi,was Told That It Came Out Of A 70 Camaro [date On Rear Is April 1970].price Is Right.I have a 71 Nova,I am building.I Was Told That It Will Fit A Nova [71]then Someone Else Told Me That It Will Not Interchange,anyone Out There Know For Sure?If there is a difference,what is the difference?How can I tell if it did come out of a camaro? Thanks In Advance

#2 ·
rear

That rear will bolt into your car, but it's wider then a stock nova rear. I think it's 3/4" per side.. Measure your rear backing plate to backing plate, then check the one you are going to buy for a exact size....

Keith

#3 ·
Been thru this one a time or two.

NO it will not directly bolt in with out moving the spring perch mounts. Trying to make it work will cause the springs to be twisted at an unacceptable angle. It will bind the shackles and break things. Then the wider axle length will make the tires stick out 3/4 to 1 inch on each side.

The NOVA's, 68 and newer models, have the EXACT spring perch and axle lengths as the 67 to 69 camaros ONLY.

#4 ·
ID camaro/nova rear

how do I make sure that the rear is a Camaro or a Nova rear?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.