70-72 Chevelle Chevelle dash wiring Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 01:21 AM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

70-72 Chevelle Chevelle dash wiring Problem

Hey, I have been replacing my dash wiring in my 71 chevelle, standard dash. The origonal was hacked beyond repair by previous owner, who knows why, besides the fact he didnt know his rear end from a door knob.

This project went fairly smoothly, since I have plenty of background in computers/networking (career) and Hi Fi audio and security for auto. I'm not afraid to dig into wires.

That is untill it came to the instrument cluster. I think I'm just missng a daughter harness. Everything works fine on the car, hazards, turn signals, brakes, Headlights, horn (if I had a horn and correct steering wheel that is), the door pins work fine, (just got to finish wiring them up). Ignition works fine, just have a few things left over, a couple connectors, one of which looks like a modular plug, one that holds a bulb, it's probably an ash tray light, just havent messed with that part yet, and somthing that has a rubber ball style grommet on it that I think goes to part of the charging system, or a coolant sensor, will have to look at the wiring schematics I have for that.

But the schematics I do have do not say anything about that modular plug, and the only thing that is reasonable to think would be that it is all of the instrument cluster.

I got this harness off ebay, the guy said it came off a 71 chevelle, standard sweep dash, like mine. It doesnt have any cuts or splices or anything on it, it was a very nice harness.

Now, either I do not have the right harness contrary to what the guy said. Or I am missing a daughter harness that is attached to the instrument cluster that plugs into the dash harness. Or by some odd chance maybe this goes to an SS dash, and I'm out of luck, because I dont have the cash to convert....but I dont know what they look like either.

Or, just maybe, I'm doing something completly wrong, Hopefully one of you guys have some pics of this connection, or how the dash is supposed to be wired at the cluster.

I will have to go get a pic of it if you want, it's been a few months since I've messed with it since winter and all, but Ive got that wild hair to mess with the garage toy again lately.

Again, any help would be awesome guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 05:07 AM

Last photo:

"Usually",

Factory harnesses are made up to include "every" option possible.

"One harness fits all".....end up with a few "extras"

You need the correct wire color code diagram to identify "all".
Old 01-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

Yeah I hear ya, been looking at the color codes and whatnot in my wiring schematics, and It's not helping me much, cept that I'm pretty sure this is what controls my dash panel. Roughly 80% of the wires seem to be dash wires, still havent got that pic, but there isnt much left besides that, and its right there geographically in the right spot for the cluster, but nowhere on the back of the cluster for a single modular plug. Just a bunch of places for bulbs and sockets, I would of thought it would of went to another plug to just control the silkscreen circuit. But I imagine there has to be a daughter harness that goes to the cluster.

My american autowire catalog isnt helping a whole lot, neither is the OPG and others of the sort. Are there any 70-72 chevelle buff's on this board that might know.

Thanks for the reply though man, TTT though.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I checked a couple of harnesses I have for my '72 El Camino. The standard sweep dash wiring doesn't have much beyond the bulbs. Could you be talking about the fuel gauge plug?

Failing that, if you can provide the color wire codes I'll do another check.

I did find out that the SS dash has one of those "one-plug-does-it-all" connectors in the back of the gauge cluster.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to look at your elky man, I took some pics of that plug that I'm talking about.

ps.

do you have any pics of your dash cluster, if not, thats cool, I know how much of a pain it is to get back there and take pics, especially if you still have all the stuff to take out like duct work and lower panes and whanot.

sorry for the size guys, lol, but at least you know what it looks like, I just wanted a nice high res photo
Old 01-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Member# 3287

Last photo:

I think what you have there is the harness for the SS type dash.

The partial harness I have that came out of a Monte Carlo with the round gauge cluster. It has that kind of connector. The standard harness doesn't.

If you have a '72 shop manual, they should have the standard (sweep) dash schematic and then a couple pages later they show the Monte Carlo/Chevelle SS schematic. That one has the type connector in your pics.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but...
Old 01-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

Thanks MI2600, you're right, it's not what I wanted to hear, lol.

But, it is definately what I needed to hear, can anybody else confirm this, If so, I will just look at it as a steal since those OEM SS dash harnesses go for boo koo's on the bay, and I only gave like 20 bucks for it.

Unfortunately I dont have a shop manual for this car that shows connectors, all I can go off of is stuff pictured in OPG and the likes.
I do have a wiring schematics chart, but only gives wire layout/colors, no actual pictures of terminals.

If this does turn out to be a harness for an SS, now I got the decision to look for a sweep one (correct harness), or just deal without dash lights and wait till I get the rest of the stuff to do a conversion, since ultimately before I die, that car WILL have an SS dash.

TTT
Old 01-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Member# 3287

Last photo:

For $20 you should wear a mask and carry a gun. That was a steal!

Or...you could sell it to me for $21 and take that dream vacation with your profit!

At least you know now. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:44 AM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

Yeah, browsing ebay, I found an auction with a SS dash, and it looks like it would mate up nicely, damnit.

I should be happy, haha.

But anybody that knows the prices of this SS dash conversion, like MI2600, know that yes, I did get a great deal on this harnes..but chances are the rest of it wont be good deals, and there is a LOT more stuff to buy, or well, a couple really expensive things haha
Old 01-19-2005, 03:17 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

you just found out all i was gonna say, that the SS dash has that big printed circuit
Old 05-22-2006, 07:15 PM

71 electrical problem

I have at least three sweep dash harnesses on my shelf 70-72 if you need one or need details let me know
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Being as this post is over a year old .... I Would hope he resolved the Issue By now....nd just forgot to close the post..

If not it's good to know where to find one.

Doc
Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM

71 Chevelle wiring diagram

72 Chevelle wiring is different than 70 or 71. I learned this the hard way. If you want a wiring diagram for 71 chevelle, email to fhouse@ieslfge.com
Old 07-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Agin, IF after a year...

He still needs a Diagram for a 1972...

I would assume, he never closed the post out..

We get a lot of "One Hit Wonders"...

Doc
Old 07-23-2007, 02:44 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
I would assume, he never closed the post out..

We get a lot of "One Hit Wonders"...

Doc
alright alright, I don't know exactly if that was a derogatory comment or not, but whatever.

Thanks for helping me out on this thread guys, but this was over 2 years ago... all is fixed.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.