Hot Rod Forum banner

70 Camaro possible ignition switch issue

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 · (Edited)
I own a 70 Camaro.
The other day after driving my car around, I was not able to get the engine to turn over or start back up after a quick stop at the store. Thought it was the battery, so I charged it overnight. Next day... I tried to start her back up. No sound from the starter at all.

In short, I was able to get the engine to turn over and start by using a remote starter... The car would stay running.
It appears that when I turn the ignition switch to "start" position, nothing happens... But if I leave the ignition to the "ON" position and use the remote starter, the engine will turn over and run.

My thinking is that either the issue is with the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch in the steering column is bad...

Any suggestions? :confused:

#2 ·
NSS is a good start, just put a jumper in place of the switch to test. Another area is the wire that runs from the ing switch, via the NSS, to the "S" terminal on the starter...... basicly it tells the soleniod to engage. If jumping the NSS has no effect, then run a long jumper from the NSS to the "S" terminal on the starter...... that'll tell you if the wire has an issue. I made a 10' jumper with alligator clips on both ends for trouble shooting barke lights, starters etc....

#4 ·
Thanks for the tips...

Turns out to be the NSS... I jumped the two purple wires and she fired up. I messed around with the switch and I think it's an internal problem with it.

The switch is for a B&M Mega shifter.

So I'm deciding if I should replace it or just attach a toggle switch on the side of my shifter unit. :thumbup:

#6 ·
My B&M has a micro switch as the NSS, it is adjustable by moving the plate that holds the switch to the frame.
Thanks... Yeah I fooled with it a bit and then tested it with my volt meter. The internal switch is apparently busted... The backup light switch part still seems to work OK, but the NSS part is toasted.

I think I'm just going to hook up a toggle switch instead, so that it will work like an airplanes.

#7 ·
Your car, your money, but I'd think hard about putting in a toggle switch for the NSS......... reason, it won't be long before you stop flipping it to the off position, then you've bypassed the reason it's there........ If I were mine i'd put the micro switch back in..... but if I were going to put in a different type switch I'd use a momentary push button, so that the switch would have to be pushed in order for it to start, so at least then you'd have a chance to be aware that it was in park.

#8 ·
... but if I were going to put in a different type switch I'd use a momentary push button,
Not only is that a great idea for safety, but if you hide the switch, it's also a great anti-theft device. Just be sure to use a switch with contacts rated for the starter circuit current. That's likely what killed the original microswitch - I've never seen one that was rated to carry the starter solenoid current.

#9 ·
There are lots of monentary switches that'll handle the load, they are just...... big. If he wanted a super small hidden switch...... use the small switch to function a relay, that when energized would close it's contacts and connect the starter soleniod.

If intrested I'd be happy to draw up the wire dia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.