70 chevelle 307 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2004, 07:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

70 chevelle 307

i picked up a 70 chevelle with a 350 in it(not running). the owner still had the original engine, matching numbers. i am wondering, if the original is rebuildable, is it possible to put in a 350 crank? i am not interested in peak performance for this car, just fun. also thinking bout in the future putting a supercharger on it with lower numerical rear gears for cruising and fuel economy. is this just a dream? anyone have any ideas or thought about this idea? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Well if it has a 350 and it's not running it might be worth a look to tear it down because in my mind if you can use that then go for it a rebuild on a 350 is money better spent then on the 307 unless you want matching numbers. It would give you more power to start with and in any rebuild you bore it 30 over so you have a nice 355
Just what I have in my nice 71 Chevelle I also had a matching number 307 that im rebuilding at the time. I will stick to the 350 though.
For supercharging it I can tell you right now there is lots of things that go along with that you can either build the engine now to go with that or do it later. Get some good books on the subject

How to Build big inch small block by graham Hansen is a great book.

All in all if you want to charge it go with the 350

Take a good look at the 350 and see what is wrong with it.

If you want rebuild the 307...
Old 08-23-2004, 04:50 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

307s ain't that terrible of a motor(after you do the 30Kmi cam change lol) IMO.Its a 327 with a smaller bore.Its definetly a better motor than a 305.
If you want a matching numbers motor go for it.I would still have headers a carfuly matched cam and an intake on it though,myself.I thik they evan come with a halfway decent 1.94 head(993s).If you select the proper parts and rear gearing it should still be a fairly strong fun car,not like a built 350 but also not weak like a smogged out stock 305.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:57 PM

hot 350

i am told that 350 got hot and that is why it died. so not too sure about that one. plus i kinda like the idea of matching numbers. i have checked in books on the journal size and they are close. i figure i can cut one or the other to fit. only thousands of an inch. so with the 350 crank it should be around 328 or 330. gonna try my hand at body work. this one is pretty clean. a few dings here and there. only one panel i am curious about, looks worked. oh well the technology now is amazing. it should be fun and interesting. thanks for the info.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:09 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

If your gonna exchange cranks put the 307 crank in the 350 block and make a large journal 327.
I wouldn't put the 350 crank in the 307 you prolly won't see that much advantage to it,as the 307 block has a smaller bore that will shroud bigger valves a bit.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The rod and main bearing journal sizes between the two engines are the same. The 307 was created by using the 283`s 3.875 inch bore with the 327`s 3.250 inch stroke, it was made to be a small displacement low RPM high torque engine. to place the 350`s crank into the 307 would require custom pistons which will get expensive fast. it would need a 350`s compression distance of 1.560 but in a 307`s bore size. this would yield 328 cubic inches with a standard bore. all I`m thinking it would do with the right pieces is make it more of a torque engine which is fine for the street, but why do this when you can invest into the 350? it has more cubic inches, more power potential and will be cheaper on your wallet.
Cubic Inch Formula:
Bore X Bore X 0.7854 X Stroke X Number Of Cylinders =
Old 08-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

agreed
Old 08-24-2004, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

I have a buddy with the same setup...call it a poor mans 327 4 bolt main. I believe you use the 350 pistons and rods but not sure. I will have to ask him. It goes like hell. He has a 72 chevelle with 4.11 gears, and I am not sure if I can beat him with my big block. Have not been able to line up a race yet.... will report back.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.