70 chevelle vs 70 charger vs 69 camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

70 chevelle vs 70 charger vs 69 camaro

im thinking of getting a car to restore into a drag car i was wondering which ine would be the best choice the chevys would be running a chevy 502 with performance parts. the dodge would either have a 426 or 572 hemi with performance parts please tell me which car to pick and why its better thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 11:59 PM
snydski

Last journal entry: 72 ' 3970010
Last photo:

I love them all

You gotta go chevy when you drag race for the economics . Blow up a hemi you lose a hundred grand blow up a chevy and lose twenty grand also bore out a 454 .100 and fill the lower half with grout to keep the cylinders from rattling run it a few times and throw it away!You can't do that with a hemi , unless your crazy. Ford on the other hand makes a good truck you can take the car trailer to the strip with but performance costs to much and are not that plentiful like the old days . Hate to say it chevy even wins over buick and olds because of economics and how bout the new camaro 700 hp factory yenko.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM

first you dont "restore" a car into a drag car unless it was an original drag car you modify one into a dragcar

do the 69 camarhole (no-one will miss it ) as the dragcar

and all the parts are out there where ever you look and cheap
Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 AM

I'll vote for the last one, I think this is the best one out of these three. Maybe I'm wrong though but still that's what I think.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman56
im thinking of getting a car to restore into a drag car i was wondering which ine would be the best choice the chevys would be running a chevy 502 with performance parts. the dodge would either have a 426 or 572 hemi with performance parts please tell me which car to pick and why its better thanks
Pick the car you like the most.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:01 PM

Last photo:

The Camaro would probably be the lightest. If everything else is equal... the lighter cars go faster. :-)

Also the cost and availability of parts would make it easier.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Either one would make a great choice.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:04 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

the cars you picked, in good shape are not cheap..
for a drag car I'd change this to different cars

mopar, the unloved volare or 80's diplomat/fury
will take the engine the 70 charger will.. and can be bought granny fresh

g.m. g bodys,(monte carlo,regal,cutlass,g/p,) cheap , b body caprice,delta 88/etc
or third gen f body camaro/ta even the late70's early 80's 2nd gen are still cheap.. all listed above will take a 502 big block

yes the ones you listed are "cooler" to most folks, but the by in for being that kool isn't really worth it.. you can get clean g body's for 500-2000 allday long same with the mopar,, ford farmont and wagon and ltdII, t bidd and lsc are all fox body's and almost everything mustang bolt on/in to these cars,, and all can be found cheap..

the g.m. cars (g,b bodys) are full frame, all others are unit body..
your picks the chevelle is the only full frame.. but a pontiac t-37 or lemans or buick will be half of a rot free chevy ..
and take the same parts drivetrain wise.. yank the drivetran and drop in the big block chevy (if you must)
the mopar fury/dip are fairly light (3300-3600)

your choice.. cheap base= more money to go fast
Old 03-08-2012, 12:51 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Those cars will be very expensive if you have the money get a Chevelle.

If you are looking for something cheaper for Chevy try a C10 truck, or the 80s Monte Carlos or the late 70s through 80s F-Bodys.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Its kinda hard to get motivated or excited if your putting your hard earned money into a car that you really dont like. I'd pick the one you like the most and go with it.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:13 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
Its kinda hard to get motivated or excited if your putting your hard earned money into a car that you really dont like. I'd pick the one you like the most and go with it.
and buying a car thats a total junker to start with, because that model is pupular, and a costly buy in.. causes more issues than it's worth..
these cars 75% of the time get sold off as unfinished projects because the person gets bored, as the few years of extra work takes it's toll on the "excitement" wears thin..
yes, youcan find rust free models of the cars the o/p listed.. but the buy in is much higher..
for a drag car I'd find someone elses project that is forsale or a car that they are selling as a roller because they are moving up..
Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman56
If you are going drag racing, why buy a "collector" car?..Get yourself a cheap body and stuff that big drive train in it...late 70s Chevelle comes to mind as a great cheap body for this......less money for the body that you can put into performance parts

Budget RVs
Old 03-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

X2 what poncho said. The 1980 G body wagon comes to mind. Lots of them out there in scrap yards, big motors fit, full frame.Good weight transfer and you can get the chevy or the pontiac version. Hmmmm no one mentioned pontiac...a major contender.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Many valid points here. For a drag car, where budget is involved, the Chevy would be easier. Running a big block isn't "cheap", though. Big blocks are great engines. They make good power, tough as can be and readily available. Use as many aluminum parts on them as possible. Iron is heavy...

The Camaro HAS been "done to death" as others indicate. Lots of good "used" drag '69s around. Pay particular attention to the quality of the welds and wiring in a "race car". Good work there shows the right attention to detail.

For a restoration today, the Dodge probably has more potential for "return on investment" simply because there aren't near as many "left". The GM A-bodies from '64-'72 are arguably among the best mass-produced cars of all time (not just muscle cars, but bread-and-butter family cars). They sure made a BUNCH of them! Chargers are much harder to "come by" these days. For the hot rod, the Dodge would be fun, but not as practical.

Stich626 "nailed it". The G-body is the best one of the old-style chassis for a modern street machine. It has the parimeter frame like the earlier A's, "scaled down" about 1/16th (including much lighter). They're not bad looking (well, most of them), they can hold most of the more popular "muscle car" power plants, the factory refined the suspensions to the "next level" over the the older ones, all the "creature comforts" were optional and could be easily incorporated into a modern build (if you were so inclined), and yes, available CHEAP. You can still find a 2-door Cutlass for a grand... The Montes and Grand Prix' take it "up" a notch, too. There are "kits" for putting the BBC, Pontiac and larger Olds in there. The smaller Olds and small block were available, so no ""kit" needed. Mad Dog makes real nice headers for most of these, including the BBC. I've even seen one '79 GP with a 472 Caddy in it, and it looked like it belonged there. Good cars.

The point about getting something you LIKE can't be over-stressed.

Good luck, and always remember, this is a HOBBY... (:-

Jim
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
If you are going drag racing, why buy a "collector" car?..Get yourself a cheap body and stuff that big drive train in it...late 70s Chevelle comes to mind as a great cheap body for this......less money for the body that you can put into performance parts
Best yet. Find a later model Camaro, more aerodynamic, cheap, fiberglass parts are everywhere, the only drawback would be is it won't make the nostalgia cut-off years, usually around 1975. I would also thinking building a full frame car vs. a Uni-body might be a bit easier. Another idea, buy a used dragster frame, they aren't terribly expensive. Small block Chevy's running in the 8 second and faster is nothing to sneeze at!

At the March Meets this year, there were a bunch of early 50's Studebaker's. Awesome looking cars!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.