Hot Rod Forum banner

70 olds cutlass no spark

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  T-bucket23 
#1 ·
i took my 70 olds cutlass out for a little cruise the other day everything was going just fine then all of the sudden everything just shut off and the car died i poped the hood and noticed that the negative batery cable fell off the post and shorted everything out from there on the car would roll over but there was no spark at the coil so i replaced that but now still nothing i was wondering what else it could be or if there is some inline fuse somewere that is blown cause i cant seem to figuire it out.

#2 ·
nobull15 said:
i took my 70 olds cutlass out for a little cruise the other day everything was going just fine then all of the sudden everything just shut off and the car died i poped the hood and noticed that the negative batery cable fell off the post and shorted everything out from there on the car would roll over but there was no spark at the coil so i replaced that but now still nothing i was wondering what else it could be or if there is some inline fuse somewere that is blown cause i cant seem to figuire it out.
First, if the NEGATIVE cable comes off, it is not physically possible to short out anything, so I'm guessing that either is was not the negative cable or else something else is wrong. There are fusible links in the POSITIVE side of the power system. The wire melts internally if the circuit is shorted (this was before maxi-fuses). You often cannot tell if the fusible link is bad just by looking at it. You need a continuity test light.

#4 ·
Did you check for voltage the the coil. I would be willing to bet you dont have any voltage at the plus side of the coil. Possible blown link.
I have an ignition troubleshooting wiki article. It should help you identify your issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.