700 4R VS TH350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2002, 04:16 PM
79CamaroZ28

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 700 4R VS TH350

Couple of questions....First one...I am in the process of purchasing a 454....How hard will that be to fit into an 86 Monte Carlo SS? The orinal engine is a 305....Second Question....Is a 700 4R going to be enough tranny to put up with a 454BB with 3.73 gears in the rear? or am I going to have to get a higher gear ratio in the rear end and leave the TH 350 Tranny that I have in it?...The point of this is haveing a street sleeper...it might only see the track a hand full of times....so I am going to need the overdrive...does anyone have any ideas? Thanks...Mike...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2002, 04:17 PM
79CamaroZ28

Sorry this question should have been posted in the Transmission department not engine....but if anyone could help it would be appreciated...thanks again Mike
Old 04-04-2002, 04:56 PM

The 700R is actually a better trans than the 350, it will hanging in there just the same plus it's got a lower first and second gear.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:24 PM
79CamaroZ28

ok thanks...So how easly will it bolt up to the 454BB?
Old 04-05-2002, 06:02 PM

If your stuffin' a 454 in a Monte, bolting the 700R to the motor will be the least of your concerns. I'm sure the cross member will need to be moved and/or modified as well as shortening the driveshaft. I'm restoring an '86 LS and I've replaced the 305/200R combo with a 350/700R. When I had the exhaust work done they modified my cross member for me, they lengthen the mounting pad and opened up the drivers side to run the exhaust thru.[img]C:\2002jpegimages\exhausttube.jpg[/img]
[img]C:\2002jpegimages\01-6.jpg[/img]
This is one of the few things that I didn't do myself, lacking a pipe bender, swellor, etc. Getting off the subject, a good exhaust should be heard not seen. I've run into some real trouble with the rear differental, so if you need any advice there let me know.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:49 PM
79CamaroZ28

Thanks for the info....I knew about the crossmember so I am ordering one that will fit in there with the 7000r4.....what kinda of rear end do you have in your LS?....Where do you have to move the motor mounts to on the chassis?....Thanks for the help Mike
Old 04-06-2002, 04:07 AM

My car has the original 7.5" 10bolt. The problem I ran into, I bought a Detroit Locker posi-unit at a swap meet, which is now installed. From 78-88 the 7.5's had 26 spline axles, '88 to present they have 28 splines. Of course you know they stopped making the rear drive Monte in 88 so now I can't find a direct axle replacement. The Camaro rear is wider, the S-10 rear is narrower, I haven't checked but I'm sure the Impala/Caprice axles are wider. So now it looks like I've gotta have custom axles made. The 26 spline axle is the only real problem with the 7.5" rear. If you intend to visit the track occasionally or if you intend to have any bite at all, the 26 spline axle probably won't hold up to the torque of a 454. You don't necessarily have to upgrade to a 8.2",8.5", or 12 bolt for street use because if your running street tires the car will more than likely never hook-up hard enough to break anything. On the other hand, if you take it to the track, install a pair of sticky tires and launch that thing at 2500 or above, you may push your luck. Being an SS, your car may have the 8.2" rear(not necessarily though), and I believe they are equipped with 28 spline axles.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:23 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

Just some related info... A 700R4 with 3.08:1 rear gears will have the same takeoff (first gear ratio) as a TH350 with 3.73:1 rear gears. Plus you'd be cruising the highway at around 1800 RPM in the 700R4 as opposed to 3200 RPM in the TH350.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:08 PM

I also like the 700/3.08 combo,however, beware the lockup converter. to much vibration will cause serious headaches (the clutch will come apart in the converter and take your trans with it)although my experience was with a 6.2 vibrations are bad for lockups, good luck

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.