700 build update - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 10:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700 build update

Well, if anyone in interested, my 700 is almost done. Been plugging along this week but was gone camping for 2 days. Been a real challange but have made it all the way to just having to set the end play and do the final install in the input drum and pump. VB is next (and last!) Passed all my air tests so far and only had ONE part left over that was un-accounted for. About died when I went to empty my wash bucket and saw a little red spring in the botton. I went back over the book and finally saw that it went under the pump pivot pin inside the front pump. Got it apart and was able to sneek out the pin without taking the entire pump apart. Dropped the spring down the hole and put it all back.

Next challange was aligning the 2 pump halves. Since I did not have the "correct tool", I got to looking at the case and figured since the input drum was not yet in, I could sneek in a 13mm box wrench onto the back side of the pump through an opening in the case, put the wrench on each barely loose bolt head and then rotate the pump clock wise and snug up the bolts, then remove and torque. Worked like a dream!

Got quite a pile of old parts stacking up too.

One more trip to Transtar for some little parts and a convertor and its about install time. Trying to talk my son into getting his bosses shop for a weekend. Nothing like a side lift and trans jack to help things along.

Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Looking good

Just rebuilt the 4L60E in my Silverado, would have given my left, you know what, to had a lift. 6 hours on a creeper is more than I care to do at one time any more!

Later I found that I had made a big mistake... Told the wife, "isn't it great, new trans for a couple of hundred bucks, probably saved $1500, should use that to put in a lift, after all we would have had to spend it anyway..." Well needless to say shot down in flames... Lesson leared, next time..." Honey I can do the job for a couple of hundred bucks if I had a lift. Figure $1500 for the lift and a couple hundred in parts we'll be ahead of the game."

Lance
Old 05-29-2006, 12:20 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceM
Looking good

Just rebuilt the 4L60E in my Silverado, would have given my left, you know what, to had a lift. 6 hours on a creeper is more than I care to do at one time any more!

Later I found that I had made a big mistake... Told the wife, "isn't it great, new trans for a couple of hundred bucks, probably saved $1500, should use that to put in a lift, after all we would have had to spend it anyway..." Well needless to say shot down in flames... Lesson leared, next time..." Honey I can do the job for a couple of hundred bucks if I had a lift. Figure $1500 for the lift and a couple hundred in parts we'll be ahead of the game."

Lance
Im Going to use that ,
thanks.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:23 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Well, if anyone in interested, my 700 is almost done. Been plugging along this week but was gone camping for 2 days. Been a real challange but have made it all the way to just having to set the end play and do the final install in the input drum and pump. VB is next (and last!) Passed all my air tests so far and only had ONE part left over that was un-accounted for. About died when I went to empty my wash bucket and saw a little red spring in the botton. I went back over the book and finally saw that it went under the pump pivot pin inside the front pump. Got it apart and was able to sneek out the pin without taking the entire pump apart. Dropped the spring down the hole and put it all back.

Next challange was aligning the 2 pump halves. Since I did not have the "correct tool", I got to looking at the case and figured since the input drum was not yet in, I could sneek in a 13mm box wrench onto the back side of the pump through an opening in the case, put the wrench on each barely loose bolt head and then rotate the pump clock wise and snug up the bolts, then remove and torque. Worked like a dream!

Got quite a pile of old parts stacking up too.

One more trip to Transtar for some little parts and a convertor and its about install time. Trying to talk my son into getting his bosses shop for a weekend. Nothing like a side lift and trans jack to help things along.

Mark
Next challange was aligning the 2 pump halves. Since I did not have the "correct tool",

I think I used two big hose clamps.....
U know
u did it right
when the bucket is not still full of parts....(LOL)
Old 05-29-2006, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

That's a good tip for aligning the pump halfs. I tried the TH350 trick of putting the pump in back to front, but it didn't work. So I aligned it just using a straight edge at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock positions.

How comes you have the 3-4 clutch apply fork left over?
Old 05-29-2006, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotmansfield
That's a good tip for aligning the pump halfs. I tried the TH350 trick of putting the pump in back to front, but it didn't work. So I aligned it just using a straight edge at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock positions.

How comes you have the 3-4 clutch apply fork left over?
He likely used the later model fork and pressure plate to get more clutch capacity.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

I tried the pump reversed but the halves are different diameters, likewise the case bore is tapered too. The TH350 halves are the same diameter and can be done sitting in backwards.

I had to have a number "7" 3/4 apply ring to use the Raybestos "Z" pack. Late model came with either a "4" or "7", depending on steel thickness used stock. The difference is .050 in length. "7" is the shorter of the 2 and allows for the "Z" pack to fit. Raybestos said I could leave ONE friction out if I could not find a "7" ring, but stressed that finding the correct ring was best.

I was considering grinding off the .050 from each leg but wasn't sure just how accurate I could be on my grinder or big belt sander. Fortunately, one was had from Steve at my local Aamco. They had boxes and boxes of old 700 parts to dig through.

Looking forward to putting the final whammy on it tomorrow if I have time.

Last edited by Jmark; 05-29-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Well, this thing has whipped my butt at every turn. Had a heck of a time setting the input shaft end play but finally got it late yesterday. All that is left is the VB now and need a new gov cover and figure out the correct speedo gears and housing since this one came with a reluctor on the output shaft and not a speedo gear.
Its all getting bagged up and put away since I need to get back to work in my shop. Finally got the go-ahead on a 15' wide, big screen entertainment center so its back to making money and parking the trans.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.