700 clearance question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 03:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700 clearance question

Finally getting started on my 700 trans. Question.....After I got the low/reverse stack installed, I have .008 clearance between the snap ring and the low reverse support. This seems way too tight compared to my 350 that I recently did.

The ATSG manual shows how to measure the complete stack before installing and call for a height of 1.200 to 1.240. Mine measures 1.230, right in the middle, yet the final clearance seems way too tight.
I started with a wave, steel, friction, steel, yadda yadda, ending up with the snap ring just barely going in. The ATSG manual gives NO final clearance spec. for this, any suggestions?

After installing the low/reverse piston, I cycled it about 15 times with compressed air to make sure it was working ok. All seemed ok. My only thought is the piston is not retracting all the way down?
I've verified that both Torrington bearing ARE correctly installed and not holding things "up". Planet spins fine as does the reaction gear.

Mark

Just pulled it again for the heck of it. I measured with the original frictions back in and its within .002 of being the same as with the new. I'm re-using the steels and one wave plate, as per the book.

I had it all back together again and applied air to the piston and it does move some and when the air is released, the piston "clunks" back into the bore, but I still only have 7-8 thou between the snap ring and L/R clutch support. I'm stumped and getting agravated, unless its supposed to be this tight.

On my 350, I had the opposite probem, but was able to just install one extra old steel and my clearance was perfect.

Just found out what was happening.

I'll leave the above post here incase some one else comes across this with the same question.

Took one more look and noticed that the lugs in the case are stepped. The clutch support only goes down to the "step" on the lugs then stops. So all is well!!! Lesson learned, yea!! i'm having fun!! (sigh)

Lesson #2:
Don't try to sneek in the rear case bushing from the outside. I did and while I did get it under the speedo pin and installed, it tweeked just enough on the pin that the rear planet would NOT go into the bushing. One more trip to the trans shop! But its now installed correctly and all is fine.

Advertisement

Last edited by Jmark; 05-23-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

you check the clearance of the clutch pack to the pressure plate side of the center support. Not between the support and snap ring.

there is a gap where you can see this clearance on the side of the case where the v-body bolts down. A p[erson can sneak in a scriber tool and check clearance of the clutch pack. Too tight and it can smoke it's self

rear case bushing always goes in from inside the case. End result depth of bushing after pressing in is important. Not too deep , not too high to interfer with ring gear.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

I'll ck the L/R pack tomorrow how you suggest. But what is a good clearance? LOL I've checked and read about all I can and find nothing on that, just the overall thickness from the bottom of the wave to the outside of the support.

Tomorrow i'm up to the input drum and pump. Had a lot of setbacks today but doing better than expected. Tweeked one of the input sun gear bushings on the install and had to make another trip. Should have bought 2 sets of bushings, i'll remember to do that next time.

Work is at a standstill waiting on deminsions from a contractor so this week is tranny week.

Curiosity got the best of me and I went out and checked. I could see one leg of the piston and the wave plate was against the first steel. Best measure I got with 3 different rods was .091. Seems a little steep but then again I can't find any specs anyways. Also kinda hard to tell where the wave plate surface actually was, could have rocked it a bit checking. Maybe .065 or so in the other side of the waved part. I dunno! I'm open for suggestions!

Mark

Last edited by Jmark; 05-23-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

I contacted Raybestos today to enquire on the L/R clutch pack clearance and their reply was (since i'm using their parts figured they'd know)

The clutch clearance should be between .080 and .090. Looks like i'm right on on that too. Cool!

One other bit of info they had too was to never, ever, under any circumstances, sand the steels to "aid in breakin". According to their site, sanding the steels causes accelerated friction wear and in-consistant shift feel. The rough grooves actually scape away the oil film and then the friction material too. Something to think about I guess.

Raybestos steel info

Also found out after pulling my input drum apart that someone at some point installed an early model 3/4 apply ring. Its .050 longer than the later model one that only works with the "Z" pack. My drum is a late model for sure based on the 6mm feed hole and .090 thickness top snap ring, just had a different ring in it. ANOTHER trip to the trans shop to get the correct one. I could have machined off .050 from the one I had but found one for free from Aamco up the street. Anyways.......back to work.

Got the forward clutches in and they are too tight. Another trip to Transtar for two .012 thinner steels. Got back, got it all together, forward stack is now fine, installed the Z pack and guess what..... Perfect clearance on that. Did the air test and passed perfectly too.

Moved on to the reverse input drum, every stinking steel is toasted. Need to get a restrictor for the apply piston too so its back to Transtar tomorrow morning. Geeeee this is fun! (sigh) But i'm getting there.

Last edited by Jmark; 05-24-2006 at 07:17 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.