Hot Rod Forum banner

700-R-4 Issues

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  kc8oye 
#1 ·
Good Day and as usual, thanks for your help in advance...

1983 700-R-4 with complete rebuild including shift kit. In a 1951 Chevy P-U with 273 rear end and 350 engine. Transmission shifts at 2,000 rmp's during all driving conditions including WOT. Transmission does not provide a kick-down/passing gear. TV cable appears to be set properly as it is taught at WOT. Holley 670 Street Avenger has the TV geometry corrector added to the linkage and the carb does open to full throttle when called for. Prior to rebuilding the transmission it shifted as it should except there was still no kick-down gear. The governor is loose and weights and springs are for the gas engine in a truck.

Any/all comments are appreciated.

Richard

#5 ·
Thanks for your replies...

Joshp83... I will have to get back to the people that rebuilt the unit and make an inquiry regarding the plate and gaskets.

BuzzLoL and Bogwater... I personally checked the governor and everything is intact. Springs not broken, weights in place and valve system shakes like a rattle.

Richard

#6 ·
I'm kind of sure that the spool/valve should be fairly tight inside the gov. I had one that was so tight it wouldn't move up & down, ended up smearing valve grinding compound on it an working it. If its loose you might have fluid leaking past the spool. The gov is what controls where your shift points are. I believe the spool redirects fluid when it moves up an down.

#8 ·

Thanks for your replies

KC8OYE... My 700-r-4 is a 83. When taken apart everything was original even though the person I purchased the truck from had receipts for a complete rebuild two years earlier.

DOGWATER... I may have misspoke about the "rattle". When shaken up and down the valve will slide with friction. Hence the rattle noise. It appears to be fine.

#10 ·

Thanks again for your response

Kc8oye...

The transmission came out of a 1983 C-20 truck. The engine is a pre-1980 350. The casting numbers stated that the block was produced from 1968 to 1979 but did not identify the exact year. The dip stick is on the driver's side. The TV cable is oem for the 1983 C-20 but I had to put a geometry correction piece of linkage on the Holley carburetor to make it work with the 700-r-4.

#11 ·
Thanks again for your response

Kc8oye...

The transmission came out of a 1983 C-20 truck. The engine is a pre-1980 350. The casting numbers stated that the block was produced from 1968 to 1979 but did not identify the exact year. The dip stick is on the driver's side. The TV cable is oem for the 1983 C-20 but I had to put a geometry correction piece of linkage on the Holley carburetor to make it work with the 700-r-4.
That's what I _thought_ too. I took that DAMNED correction kit off.. and my 700r4 FINALLY shifts like it SHOULD.

look familiar? I pulled that crap off and put a regular kick down stud in.. and made sure the cable is pulled tight at full throttle.. and hot-damn! it shifts like it is supposed to!!!

#15 ·
oh believe me.. I KNOW!!! i hate those 2.73 gears.. but i'm stuck with them for the immediate future. I may have located the rear rear axle housing for my car.. but the car it's in.. is buried to the axles in mud... could be a bit before we get it out :)

I've got a brand new eaton posi, 3.73 gears, and moser axles waiting on me to find a GM a-body 8.5" 10 bolt housing :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.