700 R-4 Pan Leak-frustrating! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

700 R-4 Pan Leak-frustrating!

Have A 84 Monte Ss W/700r-4. The Car Is Am Occasional Driver, And Began To Leak From Trans. Pan. Tightened Pan Bolts (very Loose), Still Leaked. Got Busy With Other Stuff/work So Had My Shop Guy Look, He Dropped Pan And Put On New Rubber Gasket...still Leaked....tightened Bolts Again...still Leaked. I Looked At Rear/front Seals-they Look Dry. Car Is In Driveway-no Big Incline-leak Appears To Be At Very Rear And Of Pan....any Ideas Pleeeeaase! Wife Is Getting Nuts About The Fluid Spot If I Forget To Leave A Pan Under It!!!!!! Thanks In Adavnce!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Last photo:

First off, get rid of the rubber gasket. The fiber ones are much better. Is is a chrome pan? If so, get rid of it also. Most if not all chrome pans are made in China and are a poor fit. Once you get rid of the rubber gasket clean the surface of the pan exceptionally well with solvent. Apply a thin layer of hi temp RTV and let it dry. Apply the fiber gasket and install. DO NOT put RTV up against the trans. This has worked for me.

Vince
Old 06-14-2007, 06:38 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

after all the gaskets changes and effort to remedy the leak, r u sure that its coming from the pan and not maybe venting fluid? sometimes its worth taking a look higher up... not all leaks r where it appears.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 PM

Thanks

Thanks For The Great Info!! Really Apprecaite It-im Sure Your Ideas Will Solve The Problem....
Old 06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The shift shaft seal gets me every time. It's so close to the pan that when it drips, it runs right off the edge of the pan.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
The shift shaft seal gets me every time. It's so close to the pan that when it drips, it runs right off the edge of the pan.

Yep,
And it is easy to cut a new one installing it.

One thing to add,
I like the AccoPak or FarPAck type gaskets. They cost me about $2-3 each and are a hard fiber type gasket, not cork, rubber, etc. They work very well.

You could also spend the coin and get a new gaket for a late model 4L60E from GM, they are rubber with a metal frame.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:17 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

Could be the dipstick tube. When the car sits for a while the trans fluid will slowly drain from the torque converter and raise the fill level over the dipstick tube seal and leak. I have a th400 that does that same thing. Doesn't ever get low or leak when I drive it regularly. But when I let sit only driving it once a month or so It will leak. Give it a look see. I used to pull my hair out trying to figure out where it was leaking until I talked to a transmission builder friend of mine and that's where he lead me and he was right. Godd luck check it out.Brian
Old 06-17-2007, 06:16 AM

First, you need to know where the oil is coming from. Take a blue paper shop towel and dry all around the pan, and then go above the pan all around and dry those areas too. Once you know that it is clean and dry, wait a couple of hours and take a white paper towel and go around above the pan rail and see where the fluid is coming from, and then go straight above that and see what is leaking. Very few pan gaskets leak unless installed wrong, over tightened, and have sealer on them. When installing Farpack (fiber) gaskets, make sure that the surface is claen, and always install them dry and torque bolts to 65-75 inch pounds once.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.