700 R 4 Shifting Too Soon - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2003, 03:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700 R 4 Shifting Too Soon

I have a TPI 350 (L 98) and a TH 700 R 4 out of an '86 Corvette in my El Camino. My son grenaded the original 'Vette 700 R 4 so we put in a 700 R 4 out of a ? from a bone yard. We also swapped the original differential. Now the tranny shifts too soon. What needs to be done to make the tranny shift later. It now shifts at about 22 MPH out of first. I think it should shift at about 38 MPH or so.

Benji

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2003, 05:26 PM

your TV cable will need to be readjusted assuming you have the correct cable(the one from the vette tranny should work fine)
Old 07-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

38 mph is wound really tight for 1st?
Mine shifts at 18 mph into second, into third at40-42 well scratch each time.(Elcamino with 373s)

Also have a 3/4 ton BB suburban with a 700 shifts about the same.

Troy
Old 07-10-2003, 03:41 PM

&00R4 Shift too soon

700R4s shift based on the TV cable position. Swapping can often lead to a misadjustment. Here's the catch - you cannot adjust this by feel, or wind in/out a few turns, as it is totally an issue of the pressure being developed internally. You need to get yourself a pressure gauge, screw it into the service port of the tranny, (with a 6ft hose), and adjust the TV so that the pressure just starts to rise when the throttle is pressed. There is a setup procedure you need to follow exactly or you can expect to replace the transmission in the next few hundred miles - it will go bad! Just like slipping the clutch big time - this is wearing the hell out of your tranny. Go check out www.700r4.com and copy their instructions for setting up the TV - they give you everything you need, as well as ability to buy their pressure gauge assembly to do just this same thing. Good luck! (PS - I had this problem when I got an unknown 700R4, rebuilt it, and skipoped it into a 40 Chevy coupe behind a ZZ4. Really hosed up until I followed the insructions at Bowtie Overdrive - assuming all else is okay with the tranny, this will do it!)
Old 07-10-2003, 07:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Since there is a mention of the rear diff swap out ,,,,, perhaps the current diff has a bit lower gear ratio ??

This would cause the tranny to shift sooner , along with the mentioned mal-adjusted TV cable.

There is also the possiblity that the replacement tranny is calibrated differently from the unit that broke.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:17 PM

It is important to use a pressure gauge when sitting the TV cable.I learned this lesson the hard way.I got the gauge at are local napa store for it seems like about 60 bucks.Its real easy to do,i followed the instrutions out of CHEVY magazine and have had no trouble since.I know many companys sell any thing you will need to set it up properly.Good luck
Old 07-13-2003, 03:51 PM

Run, do not walk to NAPA or your favorite parts store and get a Automatic Transmision and Oil Pressure Gauge from K-D Tools. Cost ya $50-$60 and is far better for setting up the 700R4.

I followed the directions on Certified Transmissions http://www.certifiedtransmissions.co...ves/INS008.htm
They also give the expected prssures for each gear.

I just finished and NOW I'm happy with my new 350 and 700R4!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.