Which 700 R-4 Transmission - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2002, 01:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Which 700 R-4 Transmission

I would like to know what to look for in a 700- R4 transmission? Are some better than others? Can anyone identity a trans I.D. # 618ynmy01737929?

[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: outnumbered ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2002, 08:20 AM

the only thing i know for sure it 99% of the people i've talked to about 700r4 say make sure it is an 86 or later.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:03 PM

You may consider enlisting the assistance of a reputable transmission shop.

This is a link to one of many transmission shops that specialize in 700R4 units.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperflist.htm
Old 05-21-2002, 06:37 AM

The 700R4 you should look for is a late model one.
82-87 are not so good because of the input shaft and a few internals. Look for a 92 and up. They are the same price most of time. A newer one will handle aboubt 400hp at the flywheel anything more and you will be pulling it out a lot. If you need more power get a 480le its a lot stronger and will hold about 1000hp with a few mods.
I have tried about 11 in my car a mild 650hp on the motor and they snap like small twigs.
If you use a 700R4 use a Vilgilante converter.
Good luck
Old 05-21-2002, 09:00 AM

To member 2552: How do I identify a 1992 and up tranny?
Old 05-24-2002, 07:23 AM

Could you let me know how to get screen saver from you so I could down loaded them. Thank you. Dan Andersen
Old 05-24-2002, 07:47 AM
79CamaroZ28

Yeah but one question...what year car is this 700R4 Tranny going in and how important is gas milage? ....the reason I ask is because if it is an older car and you throw in a newer tranny like mid 80's and up the 700R4 comes with an electronic kick up not vacuum.....so if you have an older car say like early 80's and older then you wont be able to hook that up with out installing a comp.....If I am wrong about this please feel free to correct me....Mike
Old 05-24-2002, 08:31 AM

To nimrod: The car is to be a 1970 Nova that I am going to restore and update for my son. This was my son's first car at 15 and he's 43 now. The car was last driven in 1982.

I will be installing all the modern cruise items, bigger, stronger motor (350 or 383), P/S, P/B, Air, stronger rear end and above all a pretty body and wheels.

I am starting research on the particulars now and think this web site has a lot to offer. This project might take me 3 to 5 years. Depends on MONEY! I have prepared him to expect a lot of expense.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

I made a big mistake when I bought my 700r4 and my engine without doing research first. You are smart for doing this up front.

I bought a 4.3 V6 out of a 1994 full size chevy pick up truck and the 700R4 from a guy who rebuilt them, He told me all would be OK. He was wrong and I was ignorant.

If you plan on using an EFI system on the chevelle then make sure the plug on the 700r4 will match the wiring harness plug from the engine. My tranny turned out to be a 86-88 model with a 4 pin connector for the lock-up and the wiring harness I wanted to use for the EFI (computer system) had a round plug with about 8 or 10 pins.

If you want to run a carb engine, there are special things a transmission shop can do to make the tranny lock up manually at 35mph. No wiring to worry about. There is, however, a kick down cable that must be connected to the throttle assembly on your carb. The cable runs up the side of the tranny. Make sure it will connect correctly to your carb acelerator arm. Mine didn't and I had to fabricate a way to do it.

Good luck...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.