700 R4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2003, 10:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 700 R4

Does anyone know what kind of problems I might run into with putting a 700 R4 from a 91 camaro into a 67 chevy pickup that currently has a 4 speed (probably saginaw). I realize the drive shaft probably will need modified, but what about the mounting brackets? Also, I've heard these tranny's aren't very reliable, how much truth is there in that?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2003, 12:54 PM

Your right the drive shaft will need some cutting. And you will also need a shift converter because the trany you want to use is operated by a computer other than that is probably a one day job.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

a 1991 700 isn't shifted by a computer. You'll need to move the crossmember back, shorten the driveshaft, get a shifter, trans cooler, etc. Wire up the lock up converter through a toggle switch, etc. Do a web search, this questions been asked a million times.
That truck doesn't have a torque tube does it?
Old 03-03-2003, 02:36 PM

The 4l60E didn't start going into cars untill 93 and it was 92 for trucks. You will not need a computer for the 91 700R4. You will need a way to lock up the converter though. I sometimes wire the lock up solenoid through the 4th gear pressure switch but it will allways be locked up when you are in OD. B&M makes a lock up kit that uses a vaccume signal so that it will only lock up under light load conditions, it seems like a good kit.

The durability should be good because your 91 trans has roller torrington bearings instead of the earlier model thrust washers, and it has improved lubrication and clutches. I would upgrade to the alto clutch pack and corvette servo, with a shift kit. These mods are very reasonably priced and dramatically help durability. Also put a good cooler on it and don't leave the cable off or you will burn it up, it is for upshifting as well as downshifting. These mods should put you in the 400-450 horse range of reliability. Since it is a truck, if you tow with it never tow in OD only in 3RD.

good luck.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:20 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Replaced a Turbo 400 in 72 Chevy PU with 89 700R4 and what an improvement for a good driver/cruiser!! Yes we had to rework the drive shaft (long bed, front section only) and moved the tranny Xmember slightly. You will need the flex plate. I recommend spending the bucks on the Painless Wiring lock/unlock system and not worry about toggle switches. You will need to make your own bracket for the TV cable or buy the high dollar one from Lokar. Suggest you get the TV / throttle cable bracket from the donner car as a guide to distances/angles/shapes etc.

Trees
Old 03-04-2003, 04:45 AM

Last photo:

installing 700 in any chevy in easy driveshaft dipstick and fill tube t/v cable(kick down cable)
can be bought from gm dealer as far as lock up wire 91 has 4 way square connector labeled a-b-c-d
a is 12 volt pos wire to fuse box hot when key is on d is 12 volt ground you may remove tras pan and wire tcc solenoid black wire to pressure switch on v/b make sure this is normal open switch if not this switch can also be bought at gm dealer its not hard at all
Old 03-05-2003, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

While there has been a lot of great info given on this thread, some of it(such as the last post) may be a tad difficult to comprehend.

My recomendation is to not only do a search on this site for similar threads, but to visit www.700r4.com. This is the site of Bowtie Overdrives. These guys have their crap together unlike many in the automatic trans business. They have a simple 3-4 gear lockup system, actuated by a relay, a TV-Made-EZ kit that will perfectly align the TV housing with the linkage an any carburetor, as well as tons of advice on using GM overdrive transmissions in a variety of applications.

I have found this company to be very useful in my GM Overdrive projects in our shop.

Good Luck.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

installing 700 r4 is not rocket science,I try to help others at no cost and I am not selling any products here.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.