700-R4 and Chevy 10-bolt strength question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2002, 05:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 700-R4 and Chevy 10-bolt strength question

Hi there,

I have a '72 Chevelle and I was questioning the wisdom in building up the 10-bolt that came with it to use with a 427 big block and a 700-r4 tranny. Some say that neither the 700-R4 nor the 10-bolt will survive the torque. I am building up the engine so I can do some unofficial dragracing here and there. According to Desktop Dyno, my engine will make 800 HP and 600 ft-lbs. Now, I realize this is probably quite optimisitc, but for the sake of argument, let's say its correct.

Are the C-clips the only thing that make the rear end so weak? I have Richmond 3.73 gears with a Auburn locker. The 700-R4 was built reasonably tough (I think) by a local reputable transmission rebuilder (he used a Corvette servo and a couple other things to "beef" it up). Since I already bought the new posi and gears, then I would like to keep the 10-bolt and use C-clip eliminators to make it last. Also, since I already have the 700-R4, I'd like to keep it (since those things are frickin expensive) and use it. However, I am willing to use both of these parts on another project and go with a Ford 9" and TH-400 if I can be convinced that there is no way to make my present parts strong enough. I'm pretty sure I've heard of drag racers using both of these parts effectively - what's their secret?

Thanks for any advice/info you can offer,
Hamx0r

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2002, 11:29 AM
Old Fart

Last photo:

Howdy

I think Desktop Dyno skipped a bit somewhere in the computation unless you have some very nasty parts in/on the motor.

If you are over 500 lbs. ft. torque go with the 400 and the 9 inch. The 700 won't live long nor will the rear end.

al
P.O. Box 636
Galt, CA 95632
209-481-6496 or 209-748-5555
[email]e-mail: Al@AutoReWire.com[/email]
Old 05-13-2002, 12:29 PM

10- bolts don't have c-clips the 12-bolts have c-clips, unless severly abused your 10-bolt might surprise you , I have 428 HO motor 4-speed 3:55
limited slip and a it's been great, this is my 2nd
rear-end I sheared the ring and pinion on first.
Don't miss a gear! I missed 3rd, put it in 1st and
about went out my windshield after eating my steering wheel.My fault, I wouldn't expect any
rear-end to hold up to that one. 5500 rpm's about
75 mph to 1st gear in a 3550 lb. car
Old 05-14-2002, 10:26 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input thus far. I've been getting mixed signals though, so I'm still kind of at square one. My personal thoughts (of which I'm trying to stay in denial) is that in time, the 10-bolt will break before a 9" would. And the same with the 700-R4. But the whole overdrive thing would be soooo nice so I can cruise on the highway without having to wind up the engine so much.

AutoReWire: I also think Desktop Dyno was pretty optimistic, but here were the main components of my engine-to-be: AFR 357cc CNC heads (with 114cc chambers), 9.7 compression, tunnel-ram manifold, 1090cfm King Demon carb, large tube headers, and a Lunati 50213 nitrous roller cam. The Desktop Dyno simulation did not include nitrous. And also, something that is kind of misleading is that the peak horsepower was 807, but at 8,500 RPM. This is quite a bit higher than I think I'll be revving a 427. But even at 6,500, it showed 736 HP at the flywheel and its peak torque was 604 ft-lbs at 6,000 RPM. Once again, I realize this i probably quite optimistic, but it's fun to pretend aint it?

Pontiacman: Are you sure GM 10-bolts don't have C-clips? My axels sure had grooves for them. And also, there seem to be manufacturers who make C-clip eliminator kits for 10-bolts (like at <a href="http://www.reiderracing.com/ccilp.htm" target="_blank">http://www.reiderracing.com/ccilp.htm</a> ). Also, what tranny were using when you missed 3rd? A Muncie? That's pretty impressive that the tranny could also take the force of a 3550-lb car going 75MPH. If my calculations are right, that's...um...a whole lot of torque that your tranny absorbed.

Any additional feedback would be much appreciated. Especially info on where the specific weaknesses are in the 700-R4 and the 10-bolt along with solutions to make those parts stronger.

Thanks,
Hamx0r
Old 05-20-2002, 02:46 AM

Last photo:

the 700-r4 tahs some what of a tarnished reputation, which is fair as teh early ones were worse than junk. but a propperly prepaired 700 will take all kinds of abuse, i have one with corvette servo and other goodies in my 66 impala and i am running a 454, LS-6, now mind you i have half the horsepower but itīs a 4000 lbs car with 3.36 gears and i am not being nice to it...

so i hear you with the overdrive. id say stick with it and aslong as you are not shifting in and out of overdrive constantly i say it will live just fine

although just fine with an 800 hp motor means a rebuild about every, to every other year. if you use the car regularly and in stoplights and so

actually a friend of mine have been driveing his 35 inch wheel, 6.5L turbodiesel 4x4 suburban every day for two years with a 700-r4 from the same builder that i use.

and if the tranny can take that, then it can also take your engine..

also you can rebuild your tranny severaltimes over for tha cost of a new 4L-80E preformance tranny with computer.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.