700 R4 shifting hard - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 06:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

700 R4 shifting hard

I recently acquired a 92 Chevy 1500 pickup w/ a 350 cid and a 700 R4 trans. The trans shifts hard into second and I'm wondering if this is normal. I have a friend who tells me hard shifts are much better than soft shifts. I have also noticed it will not shift into second when it is cold until the rpm's get to about 1500. Does this sound normal?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2003, 07:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

you need to check the TV cable adjustment. MAy be pulling tooo much as you describe shift points in the 1-2 shift.

Hard shifts in a 700 are not good on parts.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:41 PM

I have checked the TV cable and it has no free play in it but it is not under tension when at rest. I will increase the slack a bit to see if it improves the shift. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by jpd37
I have checked the TV cable and it has no free play in it but it is not under tension when at rest. I will increase the slack a bit to see if it improves the shift. Thanks for the tip.
there is trouble IF there is no tension on the cable when the throttle is closed. The TV cable should have slight tension, not loose like a T-350 cable.

With a 700/4L60 tranny there is a minimum setting or the trqanny will go into failsafe mode if the check ball is in the valve body. It will then shift late and quite firm.

I assume the truck is still EFi throttle body.

Perhaps the cable is damaged and stuck. Linkage inside the tranny stuck , broken , damaged?
Old 09-18-2003, 11:05 AM

When I bought th e truck, the previous Owner told me he had GM replace the trans about a year ago because the original trans failed while towing his rod on a trailer. He added a trans cooler when the replacement trans was installed. I have checked the linkage and cables and all is working smoothly without binding or unusual stiffness. I have checked the fluid and it has good color and does not smell burnt.

Sounds like a teardown would be necessary to inspect the check ball in the valve body.

The carb is a simple, original two barrel.

Maybe it is natural to shift like it does. I am going to try to find a couple similar trucks and drive them to see how they shift.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by jpd37

The carb is a simple, original two barrel.

A 1992 Gm truck would not have a 2 barrel carb on it. Should be a throttle body injection setup which appears like to a 2 barrel to non automotive folks.

So I am a bit confused at this point.

Old 09-19-2003, 08:39 PM

Drive that vehicle a little and experiment with the TV cable like the rest has mentioned. That TV cable is touchy.....1/16 of an inch off is completely different tranny.

Is there a shift kit in there?

I put a shift kit in my 700R4 and it holds the shifts when working properly under throttle. Part throttle it does not hold the shifts.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:18 AM

To my knowledge the trans does not have a shift kit.

Interesting about the carb. I pulled the air cleaner to look atthe linkage, and simply glanced at the carb. It looked like a two barrel but because I don't tinker with cars often, I could have been easily fooled.

I will slacken the tension on the TV cable as you suggest (max 1/16" incriments) and see if there is any improvement. I'm thinking that might do the trick, since it tends to down shift very frequently with the touch of the throttle.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:49 PM

Last journal entry: Red, my second T--Bucket
Last photo:

I have a 1988 305 with the 700R4 in my T-Bucket. I used the information at this website to set up my TV Cable, and have had real good results. I am even able to "slack-off, or tighten-up" the cable one or two clicks to adjust it to the conditions, cruisin, or stop-lighting.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html

MF

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.