700 rebuild progress and questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 07:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700 rebuild progress and questions

Well, got bored today, real bored! Decided to pull the 700 down for a look see. I don't have any of the new parts yet but am getting close. So far, no big damage anywere that i've been able to find. Pulled all clutches out and only found two frictions that were "coned" and worn down on the edges, they came from the first stack in the input drum. Steels had hot spots too.
All the rest of the clutchs looked great, as did the band. Planets feel nice and snug, but am going to use a feeler guage and check the play. Sprags work good and I pulled them apart far enough to check the springs, none broken. All in all, the whole trans looks good.

But I need a few questions answered please. (waiting on a rebuild video)

Should I change the sprags anyway? Or re-use them? Any good test for them?

I'm wanting to change out all the torrington bearings and notice there is one inside the rear planet. I've tried to gently get it out but it doesn't want to clear the 4 small gears. Does it come out? or is it a non service item that comes with a new planet only?

I noticed what looks like a small scratch or nick or casting flaw on the housing right were the pump o-ring seats. The trans was dry and doesn't show any signs of leaking, but i'm wondering if a little rub with some 400wd would work to smooth it out some. It may not even be an issue, but I'm curious. Here is a pic.

Thanks for any help.
Mark

Advertisement

Last edited by Jmark; 02-04-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

looks better than this 4L65e unit...all the pictured parts are broken . Drive shell ( beast) is trapped by shaft wedged into the inner sun gear.

parts from a Caddy AWD with super charged 6.0 liter

At least replace the FWD sprag that is the aluminum drum. Good insurance IMHO

The inner torrington in the rear planet will not come out with removing the pinion gears. Check it for operational smoothness with fingers or sun gear.

Smooth the nicked area out with sand paper cloth

Old 02-04-2006, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

Hi Crosley.
Man, thats gotta hurt! LOL Glad mine is in better shape! How in the world does one snap the shaft?

Some how I think i'll be making a few "purchases" on Monday with my wifes card. LOL Can't stand seeing all my parts sitting there.

I'll add the sprag to my list of goodies. Can't wait to "get-er-done"!!

May have to build one for my '86 truck too. Its a real gas hog with the th400 and 4.11 gears! Its heavy though, 3/4 ton with a big cabover camper. Sure could use to slow the r's down some on the freeway. Just hate shelving the 400 trans, truck only has 32,000 on it.

My wifes '86 Caprice has a 700 also. Got 72,000 miles on it now. Might be a good idea to build one for a backup while i'm at it! LOL

Last edited by Jmark; 02-04-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
How in the world does one snap the shaft?
super charged 6.0 motor, 5.3 will do the same

Quote:
May have to build one for my '86 truck too. Its a real gas hog with the th400 and 4.11 gears! Its heavy though, 3/4 ton with a big cabover camper. Sure could use to slow the r's down some on the freeway. Just hate shelving the 400 trans, truck only has 32,000 on it.
Gear vendors..... best option with heavy weight
Old 02-05-2006, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

Well, i'm kinda confused on something.
Today I was taking the input shaft/drum apart and got all the way down to the apply piston. Inside the end of the shaft there is a brown bushing. Under that bushing was a small brown plastic piece that I first thought was a snap ring. On closer inspection, it appears to be from the bushing. Was there something else inside the bushing, like needle bearings? Or not? Is it just broken? Will the rebuild kit have a new one?

Second question. I understand that that same apply piston engages the next two stacks of frictions and steels, the ones on the sprag. (small ID and larger ID.)
Then comes a snap ring, then starts a larger stack of frictions and steels. On mine, these were the ones that had the two coned and worn off frictions and all the steels have hot spots. What I don't understand and cannot figure out is what "applies" that pack? I don't see any way that the apply piston way down inside can apply them as the two sets are divided by the snap ring inside the drum.
The outermost pressure plate pushes against the 5 sets of small springs on the inside edge of the drum and has the big snap ring holding it in. I see nothing on that end that could apply the pressure plate either. Someone enlighten me please! LOL

I think it just came to me. That pack is applied by the 5 long black tabs that run down the inside edge of the drum? They are moved by the same piston that applies the two inside packs that are on the sprag? Are there two pistons in there together that apply independent of each other giving a different throw for each pack?

On looking at the gap on that stack to the outermost pressure plate, its got to be close to a 1/4" also. ( old frictions and steels are still in it) Is this even close to being right? Or is something way wrong.

Lastly, when I took the snap ring off the output shaft yesterday, the "pain in the butt" one down inside the planet, the entire output shaft came out the back of the tranny. Is this normal? Seems that my TH350 came out from the inside. Or am I just really tired and need a nap? Seems kinda scary that one little clip keeps the output shaft from shooting out the tail housing and distroying the tranny.

Thanks again for any help.

Mark
confused in Phoenix

Last edited by Jmark; 02-05-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
My wifes '86 Caprice has a 700 also. Got 72,000 miles on it now. Might be a good idea to build one for a backup while i'm at it! LOL
You might be waiting a while, my 90 model has 147,000 on it and it still performs like new. Of course it has been serviced a few times.

Vince
Old 02-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
super charged 6.0 motor, 5.3 will do the same
Gear vendors..... best option with heavy weight
I second that, a fellow club member who has a hotrod 48 Ford bus with a big block Chevy has a 400 turbo with a Gear Vendors overdrive and loves it.

Vince
Old 02-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

you need a good tranny book on the 700.

find one , read it twice then proceed.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

LOL@Crosley!

I know, I know, too many questions. Its just that its all over my saw table and i'm still waiting on my ATSG manual and video. Was hoping they would have been here Saturday, but no such luck. I'll go put it all away and wait it out, got to finish a 9' wide Cherry cabinet and bookcase anyways. Not enough room for both in the same shop.

Mark
Old 02-06-2006, 03:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Or not? Is it just broken? Will the rebuild kit have a new one?

>Rebuild kit comes with a new one.

The 3/4 clutch pack (the thing you removed first) is operated by the 5 fingers around the edge that you see.
Details on my rebuild, including how to make your own diy tools for this transmission can be found here:
http://www.mez.co.uk/Chevy700r4pg3.html

Eliot.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:25 AM

While not nearly as informative as the site eliotmansfield has you may find some helpful pics Ive taken that pertain to the 700 at the following link:

http://www.turbotimelounge.us/gallery/myclone?page=1

(BTW, you'll need to scroll down some to find the 700 stuff since that site is where I dump all my misc pics that I take or find while browsing the interweb)
Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

Elliot...
Thanks, I have your page in my favorites already! Just waiting on the book and CD (and $$$) so I can get cranking.

I was telling my wife about Crosleys reply last night. She got a good laugh. I tend to get a little excited on new projects and I can't imagine how many emails and PM's that he and Airworld must get in a day. But I like learning new things, specially things that I shyed away from when I was younger, like dancing and trannys! LOL (interesting combonation huh?)
My wife and I started taking dancing lessons a few years ago. Payed off too, got to do some "real dancing" at our sons wedding. That was cool. We really "wow'd the crowd". (didn't take a whole lot either!)
Trannies are something i've always wanted to get into but never had the courage, until last year when I redid my engine and tranny in my truck. It was fun and quite an accomplishment.

Cylone.....
Good stuff! Love the Dually burnouts too!

Well, back to the sawmill

Last edited by Jmark; 02-06-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I still do not dance.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

Tony,, you should try it sometime! Its fun, plus you'll make bookoo brownie points with your wife. The VFW at 48st and Thomas has Swing lessons every day of the week. 7 bucks a person, lots of fun. We took Waltz at Fred Astare and with our swing teacher. Kinda hoping someday to get on "Dancing with the stars!" LOL

Anyways, mail dude just came by, still no book or video. Crap!!! I need to get after it before I forget where everthing goes.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Crap! Book and video were mailed YESTERDAY!! Won't be here for 3 or 4 days. Oh well, might be a blessing anyways, looks like my wife may loose her job this week. Glad I didn't go buy all the parts yesterday!

Mark

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.