7004r Transmission with Mechanical Speedometer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

7004r Transmission with Mechanical Speedometer

I am installing a 7004R transmission in a 1956 Chevy with a 400 Small block Chevy motor. Is it possible to use the mechanical speedometer with the 700R transmission? If so, how is that done and what components are needed? If not, what is the best solution for this circumstance?

Thanks for the help, StreetRodder37

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 PM

i think all you would need is a speed-o cable the gears and cover for the trany and a mechanical speed-o i know the 86 camaro used a mechanical speed-o measure the length and compare
Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 AM

Last photo:

Should find neccesary parts & Info here:
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700r4.htm

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/70...ometer%20Parts
Old 05-25-2011, 12:43 PM

What set up is on the transmission now? Does the trans have an extension housing on it?

I'll assume you bought a transmission that has no extension housing, and no mechanical drive gear, or hall effect sensor present on the output shaft.

If this is the case, you will need:
Extension housing for mechanical speedo
Drive gear to get pressed onto output shaft
Clip to retain drive gear once on the shaft
Driven gear housing & seals (o-ring around housing diameter & smaller o-ring that seals against the driven gear)
Driven gear
O-ring for driven gear housing to extension housing seal
Retainer, metal, to hold the driven gear housing in the extension housing
Bolt to hold metal retainer

I sell a lot of 700's and if a customer does not already have all of this stuff on their old trans, it can add up fast. Not to mention you will need to know what drive & driven gear you need (tooth count or color) to get your speedo to register the correct speed. If you know your rear gear ratio, and your tire size, you can look on-line at the charts before you order the plastic gears to be sure you get the right ones. Or, if your speedo in your car is correct at this time, you can count the teeth on those gears in your old transmission and get the same ones for the 700. Not sure but I think some of the gears will swap between the 700 & T-350.. Never tried it myself but if they will work, that will save you some money. Good luck on finding the mechanical speedo housings.

They are highly sought after where I live and when you find them, they want $50 just for the housing, and sometimes much more... Most salvage yards around here will not sell the housings separately from the transmission. I used to have a lot of the mechanical housings on hand and sold them on transmissions.. Now I'm down to 3 or 4.. No, I don't want to sell them! Ha ha..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.