700r torque converter mounting question.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Plan B

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r torque converter mounting question..

Hello, I am installing a 700r to my 283 and when I put the converter on the trans, I spun it a little, then it went in a little more, to the point where the pilot is in line with the trans mounting flange and the rest of the converter is inside that line by 5/8". Is this in far enough? I am asking because on my first attempt to install the trans, the converter was jamming against the flex plate too soon, and I think it just worked itself out during all the installation wiggling. First time doing an automatic and was wondering what you guys with tricks up your sleeves had to say. Many thanx in advance.
Brad......

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 07:44 PM
38 LaFayette

Last journal entry: Got a little help..
Last photo:

Bear in mind I am a shade tree mechanic at best, but when I put an automatic in I put two studs in the block to slide the transmission up to the engine. When I put the converter on the transmission I spin it until it seats and as I pull it up to the engine I will spin the converter as it gets closer. I've been told that when you get the engine and transmission mating surfaces together and can still spin the converter then all is well. Just tighten it to the flex plate and should be good to go. A pro may have a better idea.

Bob
Old 10-28-2007, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

the converter should index 3 times 1. the stator indexes 2. the input shaft indexes 3. the pump lugs index it should go in three times you should not be able to get a finger inbetwen the verter and the pump there will usually be about .050 clearnce between the flywheel and the verter when installed. if you are not sure pull it back out or you will break the pump.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Plan B

Last photo:

700 install

Thanks you guys. I did pull it back out (something wasn't right ) Now I am armed with more info and confidence.

"you should not be able to get a finger inbetwen the verter and the pump there will usually be about .050 clearnce between the flywheel and the verter when installed."
This is great information!
Brad......
Old 10-28-2007, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

when the verter is seated properly the mounting bolts will be significantly behind the mounting surface of the bell housing
Old 11-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Plan B

Last photo:

re: 700r torque converter mounting question..

Well, I tried again this morning and same results. The converter wont spin when I start tightening the trans/ motor bolts. There is a bushing in the crank I think. Does this need to come out in order for the converter to be happy? I can put my fingers between the converter and the front of the pump housing(barely), however the converter did go on once, turn, then go on some more. I can see maybe 1/4" of the converter shaft sticking out of the pump. The flex plate is mounted so that the converter holes are actually on a raised area facing the converter.
Thanks so much in advance.....Brad
Old 11-03-2007, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

stand the tranny up on its end and try putting the verter in that way. doesnt sound to me its all the way in
Old 11-03-2007, 05:02 PM
boatbob2

700r4 trans

Did your engine have a manual trans before you attempted to place the auto in? if so,did you remove the pilot bushing from the end of the crankshaft? if you did not remove the pilot bushing,heres how.pack the hole in the bushing with wheel bearing grease,using a large dowel or drift,(close to same size as hole in bushing,)smack the dowel hard with a hammer. this will force the grease behind the bushing ,and the bushing will come out. you may have to pack more grease in bushing and hit it again.messy,but it works. then put the converter onto the trans as above directions from other members,and you should be good to go,keep us informed. i always love to hear from a guy covered in grease
Old 11-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Plan B

Last photo:

700r4 trans

Yes the motor had a manual on it before.If I get covered in grease, I am not going to do any piggy sqealin! I can really stand this trans on end and then what, rubber mallet the converter in all the way? Or will I just get more leverage? The converter comes off real easy when I put it in, just wiggling the trans a little aligning the pins and it starts to come out of the pump.I will give this a shot in the morning, and thanks so much for the help to everyone. This site is the best use for the internet bar none, except for maybe ordering more parts....
Brad.....
Old 11-04-2007, 04:48 AM

Last photo:

lol dont hit it lol it will just make it center better and make sure it goes in all the way but if it has a pilot bushing in the crank i suggest that you remove that also more than likley this has been the problem
Old 11-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Plan B

Last photo:

I did it!!! Thanks to you guys! Yes I got some grease on me, but nothing to "squeal" about. Standing the trans up on end did the trick, I was able to push the tc in further. The bushing wouldn't come out with the grease and dowel trick though. I noticed that there was a small gap behind the bushing, so i modified a H.F. puller and pulled it out. The support arm on the puller is now bent(crappy H.F., or very tight bushing, either way I don't care, it's out) And trans is in YEAH! Now off to rest of the build.
Thanx you guys so much for the words of wisdom.
Brad....
Old 11-04-2007, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

you are welcome sometimes the bushing can be a little tight and standing it up usually helps have fun
Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Plan B

Last photo:

Standing the trans up sure helped add to the fun factor, especially since I pulled a muscle in my lower back yankin the trans back out to begin with. I have to admit though, when I open the doors and look in and see this 49 PU sittin there with power disk brakes on, power steering, 283, and now 700r, 12 bolt rear, I just smile, and wish I didn't have to go to work so I could finish it. All my body work is done except for a minor dash repair. I am trying to get this on he road by Spring so I can go to some of the big gatherings throughout the summer.Next April it will be 2 years in the making. I owe so much to this site for all the help and encouragement. My next project will be a 54ish chevy 2 door (still looking)..no rush.After that I might know enough to have answers
Brad.....

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.