700r4 1988 2-4 band burned only - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 1988 2-4 band burned only

Hi ya'll I am trying to figure out why my 700r4 works good 1,2,3, but when going to fourth gear it starts feeling like 3 and fourth are fighting each other. third time apart after rebuild only shows it burnt the 2-4 band everything else looks good. replaced band went through valve body with b and m instructions since it had been modified b4 I got the truck. My brother has rebuilt many 700r4s without ever having this problem. on the upside we are getting alot quicker at taking the tranny and transfer out. PLEASE any info would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 PM

I had a 4-wd truck once that burned the band after I went through it and I installed a shift kit. Think it was trans-go or B&m, not sure.
The problem I found after it burned the band out was the kick down bell crank hit the aluminum sleeve that the kick down spool rides in. It would not let the truck get a 2nd gear to low gear kick down a wide open throttle.
After grinding so much off the aluminum sleeve it would work fine and cured the problem. The people that made the shift kit helped me figure it out. This was back in the 80's so I can't tell you exactly what I had to do but the aluminum sleeve was the culprit and it came from GM with that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
Hi ya'll I am trying to figure out why my 700r4 works good 1,2,3, but when going to fourth gear it starts feeling like 3 and fourth are fighting each other. third time apart after rebuild only shows it burnt the 2-4 band everything else looks good. replaced band went through valve body with b and m instructions since it had been modified b4 I got the truck. My brother has rebuilt many 700r4s without ever having this problem. on the upside we are getting alot quicker at taking the tranny and transfer out. PLEASE any info would be appreciated.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:13 AM

700r4 band it ?

Thanks for your quick reply. I will check this and let you know what we find out.Sure has been a hair puller.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:03 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
if its just the band that is burning up, then you need to check the travel of the servo. once installed, it should have around .075-.100. if its more, the servo pin is too short.
another possibility is the reverse input drum is tore up and is eating up the band, or the reverse drum could be warped from a o.e.m. band, and you have installed a wide band without making sure the reverse input drum was flat where the band rides.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

IF just the band has burned up, besides the drum shape and condition;

I would want to know the size of 2nd gear servo, condition of the accumilator bore and piston for 2nd gear.

Servo will usually have numbers on it to indicate the size. There are at least 4 different OEM size servo's from lite duty 4 and 6 cylinder to V8 to HD V8 application
Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 PM

700r4 burnd band

turned out to be forward clutch drum had a non visible crack
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
turned out to be forward clutch drum had a non visible crack

There's a plumber joke in there somewhere.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.