700r4/4l60/4l60e? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 07:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4/4l60/4l60e?

I have a 94 Camaro z28 with a 2 speed Powerglide tranny. I am wanting a auto 4 speed and just bought what I was told is a 700r4. I dont know much about trannys and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what year tranny it is/what it came from. I also wanted to know how the speedo is hooked up if it is cable or electric. Any other info like what tranny came in my car would also be helpful.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 AM
454, what turns your crank?

Last journal entry: Replacing bearings and crank
Last photo:

700r4's came in many different vehicles. i cant remember off the top of my head what year the 4L80E came in the picture. i want to say early 90's? but the 4L80E replaced the 700R4. the tranny depends on the trim package your car had. they came with both 5 speeds and 6 speed manuals. and i want to say it came with the 4L60 as an auto. i really dont know much about the 4th gen Camaros. all i know about the 4L80E's and the 4L60's is that they replaced the 700R4 and the 4L80E was the heavy duty tranny and it came in a lot of the Chevy trucks. both the 700R4 and 4L60's are very weak trannys, from the factory i think there Hp/TQ cap was 300-350. your better off trying to get a 4L80E but its electric so you would have to find the computer and stuff to go along with it. not sure if they make a conversion kit or not to change out the servos. but if you have got some power under the hood you want to go with the TH350 or TH400. they will hold up to a lot of power and are very cheep to build up unlike the 4 speed autos. but there final gear is only 1:1, if you have tall gears its not bad but short gears with small tires you will be turning a lot of RPM's going down the highway. in my car i have 3:73's, 29" tires and a Th350 and cruiz at 3,000 RPM going 60.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevykid90
700r4's came in many different vehicles. i cant remember off the top of my head what year the 4L80E came in the picture. i want to say early 90's? but the 4L80E replaced the 700R4. the tranny depends on the trim package your car had. they came with both 5 speeds and 6 speed manuals. and i want to say it came with the 4L60 as an auto. i really dont know much about the 4th gen Camaros. all i know about the 4L80E's and the 4L60's is that they replaced the 700R4 and the 4L80E was the heavy duty tranny and it came in a lot of the Chevy trucks. both the 700R4 and 4L60's are very weak trannys, from the factory i think there Hp/TQ cap was 300-350. your better off trying to get a 4L80E but its electric so you would have to find the computer and stuff to go along with it. not sure if they make a conversion kit or not to change out the servos. but if you have got some power under the hood you want to go with the TH350 or TH400. they will hold up to a lot of power and are very cheep to build up unlike the 4 speed autos. but there final gear is only 1:1, if you have tall gears its not bad but short gears with small tires you will be turning a lot of RPM's going down the highway. in my car i have 3:73's, 29" tires and a Th350 and cruiz at 3,000 RPM going 60.
Thanks for the reply. I was told that since the tranny I just bought have a tv or kickdown cable then it is a 700r4? and I was also told that my camaro came with a 4l60e. I was thinking about going with the 350turbo but i would like to have overdrive to curse at lower rpms so I can save some gas money. I was told to go with a 2500 stall covnverter with a switch to lock and unlock it. I have 373 gears and 25 inch tires and with the 2 speed in it and the 5500 stall converter my rpms are way to high for much of any street driving,
any idea is there is a way i can make the 700r4 work or do i need to get a 4l60e? and also how hard will it be to get a 4 speed to handle alot of power? The car is making between 500-550 hp
Old 07-18-2011, 01:23 AM

Last photo:

94 was the 1st year the Z-28 came with the 4L60E.
To use the 60E Tans you car will need the correct ECM/Computer to operate it.
To use the 700R4/4L60 you will need to make sure it has the correct Tailhousing as the Camaro uses a Torque Arm/PanHard Bar that connects to the Trans & Rear.

700R4 ID>> The Chevy TH-700R4 Transmission.

Swap Info> http://transmissioncenter.net/700R4_Swap_Info.htm

F-Body/Camaro/Firbird Tailhousing Pic about 7/8 way down page, has 3 Horizontal mounting holes> http://www.transmissioncenter.org/700r4_Parts_List.htm also has about any part you'll need listed.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:40 AM

Last photo:

that is not true about the kickdown cable. if i am not mistaking prity much all auto trannys have a kickdown cable, besides ones that are electric. your powerglide and a th350 both have the same final ratio which is 1:1, same with the Th400. if your really making 500HP/TQ you do not want to go with a 700R4, if you wanted 4 speeds then your better off buying a 4L80E and getting the right computer to control it. but if it was me, i would get a TH350 rebuild it (since you really dont know whats in it.) it will cost about 300 bucks for all the stuff you will need, not including the torque converter. and i would get some taller tires, those 25" are really hurting you. if you can fit them go with some 30" tires. that will put you at just below 3,000RPM. i could give you the exact number but for some reason the calculation site i go to isnt working.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 AM

Last photo:

i ran the numbers and you would be at 2,500 RPM with 30" tires going 60 down the highway. and you will be at 2,900 going 70.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevykid90
that is not true about the kickdown cable. if i am not mistaking prity much all auto trannys have a kickdown cable, besides ones that are electric. your powerglide and a th350 both have the same final ratio which is 1:1, same with the Th400. if your really making 500HP/TQ you do not want to go with a 700R4, if you wanted 4 speeds then your better off buying a 4L80E and getting the right computer to control it. but if it was me, i would get a TH350 rebuild it (since you really dont know whats in it.) it will cost about 300 bucks for all the stuff you will need, not including the torque converter. and i would get some taller tires, those 25" are really hurting you. if you can fit them go with some 30" tires. that will put you at just below 3,000RPM. i could give you the exact number but for some reason the calculation site i go to isnt working.
this info would be incorrect. pretty much all trannys do not have a kick down cable. the 200/200-4r,325-4l,700r4 do not have a kick down cable. they use a throttle valve cable which also controls shift pressure, not just passing gear. also, the th400 does not use a kick down cable. it uses an electronic solenoid.
also, the 4l80e did not replace the 700r4, that would be the 4l60e. the 4l80e is the next duty series trans that kind of looks like a th400, but is electronically controlled, has overdrive and t.c.c.

to the OP, 93 is the last year the 700r4 was used in the camaro but, heres the kicker.on the DRIVERS side of the trans,there will be a round 5 pin connector for the t.c.c. controls instead of the typical 4 pin.
the 700 is what came in that car for 93, whether it be a 3.4 or a v-8. unless it came with a manual trans.
94 and up it came with a 4l60e
if built properly, they can handle 500+ hp but, it gets costly. and like ssedan said, it has to have the camaro/firebird extension housing for the torque arm that goes from the rear diff.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsmith10
this info would be incorrect. pretty much all trannys do not have a kick down cable. the 200/200-4r,325-4l,700r4 do not have a kick down cable. they use a throttle valve cable which also controls shift pressure, not just passing gear. also, the th400 does not use a kick down cable. it uses an electronic solenoid.
also, the 4l80e did not replace the 700r4, that would be the 4l60e. the 4l80e is the next duty series trans that kind of looks like a th400, but is electronically controlled, has overdrive and t.c.c.
thank you for the correction. that i did not know. i knew autos came with something to make them downshift. so with that being said, the TH350 is the only tranny that uses a kick down cable rather than a TV or an electric solenoid? i meant to say the 4L60E, the 4L80E's came in chevy trucks, SUV's, and some vans.

the easiest way to identify your tranny is to look at the pan shape.

tn****h10 is right, you can get a 700R4 to handle 500+ but its not going to cost you anything less than $800. and if you want it to hold more your looking at $1,000+ just for the internal parts. and even then it still might not hold up. i have seen 3 different 700R4's that were put behind a big block, and another one was behind a 383 and they didnt last but 3 months. and that was with the kit that said it would hold 500+ HP/TQ. maybe they were just a freak thing. IMHO 700R4's or a 4L60E do not belong behind any performance engine for any reason. if you really want the more gears, your better off with a TH350, or TH400 with a Gear Vendors unit put behind it. or fork out the money and pick up a 4L80E.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:52 AM

4l80e?

what did the 4l80e come in? and if i was to get a hold of one would it hold up? or at least be cheaper to build? also, if i go with a th350 what would i need to put in it to make it hold up? also i forgot to mention that i do not have a stock rear axle. i have a Moser? rear axle. build like a ford 9 inch i believe
Old 07-18-2011, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

i am prity sure it came in all newer chevy trucks. i tried looking it up but there is really no place that tells you everything they came in. i looked in Wikapedia and it was coming up with some crazy stuff like Bently's and Jaguar's also. But prity much any heavy duty vehicle 90's and newer have the 4L80E. but like i said the information on what all they came in is very sketchy. the only thing i would say you really need for it to hold the power is a good set of clutches w/ the plates, a bigger band, and if you really wanted a better set of sun gears and there housing, and a shift kit. but if it was going to see a lot of track time and doing hard launches you might want to go with replacing all the internal parts with a kit. but i have built many of TH350's and only put in new clutches, bigger band, and a shift kit and they have help up to some pirty hefty big blocks. even on my own trannys that i use thats all i do, maybe someday they will break, maybe not. but so far i have had good luck with them.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarsrock68
what did the 4l80e come in? and if i was to get a hold of one would it hold up? or at least be cheaper to build? also, if i go with a th350 what would i need to put in it to make it hold up? also i forgot to mention that i do not have a stock rear axle. i have a Moser? rear axle. build like a ford 9 inch i believe
if you intend on putting in a 4l80e, then be prepared to be cutting the tunnel for the trans, and buying a new torque arm from either summit or jegs to make this work. and thats not including integrating the wiring harness and controller so the trans will work properly.
physically, the 4l80e is a larger trans and the space underneath the camaro is already tight to begin with. and as far as the torque arm fitting goes, since the 4l80e was never put into a camaro from the factory, so, it wont have the proper mounting for the torque arm, which is why i mentioned the aftermarket products from jegs and/or summit which provide alternate mounting options.

now, as far as a 350 or 400 goes, theyre still a 1:1 final ratio and will not help at all for cruising at highway speeds. plus, a gear venders wont fit in a camaro without further mods as the torque arm is going to be a problem being inline of the driveline.
really, what needs to be done is have a 4l60e built for the application and power you say the car is producing and go with it. no fabrication to do, the harness, unless it has been cut out, is still there, and the origional torque arm can be used. now, when going to look for a unit for the car, make sure and specify that it is for a camaro so it comes with the proper extension housing.

one last question, does the engine still have the ecm and running throttle body? if not, then it may be more prudent to go with a 700r4 and have lockup controlled by either a pressure switch in the trans, or have it mechanically engaged with hydraulic kit that is widely avaiable for the trans so you wont have to worry about flipping a toggle switch. gl

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.