700R4/4L60 Check Ball questions. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 PM
InDeep****Now
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lenoir NC
Posts: 49
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
700R4/4L60 Check Ball questions.

Okay, so we got caught up in a flash flood the other day, and my tranny took on some water. Anyhow, I only drove it 5 miles from where the flood about swept away my truck, and let it sit, until I could flush it the next day. So I'm pretty sure I've gotten 95% plus flushed. Anyhow, I drive an 89 S10 Blazer and I am pretty sure I have a 4L60/700R4 tranny. I do not think it is a 4L60E as those came out a couple years, I believe. Anyhow, I pulled the valve assembly apart to clean what I could out, and found check balls falling all over the place! Of all the research I have done trying to locate proper positioning for these, the only pics I can find are for 4L60E trannys, and the valve assembly's look quite different. I have found 9 Check balls total (8 of them 1/4 inch and 9th is slightly larger). I have included pics of where I believe these go. I need some help confirming whether or not I am right or not. I don't wanna have to do this again. May as well get it right the first time. And if anyone can confirm how many check balls total? (This is including one that is nestled in the valve body in a sense that I believe it's probably supposed to stay there....)
Here is the pic of the cover and where I have the check balls positioned in it. All 1/4 check balls in this one:



Here is the 1/4 ball nestled in the valve body, near the rear center closest to tranny mount:





And finally, the ones that go on top of the separator plate, the largest check ball in shown, where I believe it goes:



Any help on this time consuming, pain in the arse, hope I get it right matter would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

    Advertisement

Last edited by S10BlazerBuilt; 07-15-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2012, 03:39 PM
InDeep****Now
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lenoir NC
Posts: 49
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost forgot...

It does have an Aux Valve Body on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 PM
InDeep****Now
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lenoir NC
Posts: 49
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is getting really confusing as I show the same tranny online with different amounts of check balls, or people omitting check balls, etc... !!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2012, 05:43 PM
InDeep****Now
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lenoir NC
Posts: 49
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
700r4 id#

I'm pretty sure the Identification number on the trans is 9T1 m206b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Crosley's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ... USA
Posts: 8,075
Wiki Edits: 1659

Thanks: 324
Thanked 98 Times in 95 Posts
ok, bottom photo of the separator plate:

Large check ball goes in indicated location = lrg red arrow

To the side of red arrow, at the large yellow arrow = 1/4" chk ball

below, small yellow arrow= NO check ball

Valve body photo:

NO check ball in the bath tub shaped location = upper left of photo yellow circle.

AUX valve body= needs check ball in correct location

Check ball in capsul in case = leave it or remove it. I leave them out

IF I did not mention the other chk balls or arrows, they are correct.

In a bath tub shaped location as in the case or valve body... the separator plate must have 2 holes for a check ball to be placed there. IF there is ONLY 1 hole over the bath tub shape location, NO check ball
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 PM
InDeep****Now
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lenoir NC
Posts: 49
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley View Post
ok, bottom photo of the separator plate:

Large check ball goes in indicated location = lrg red arrow

To the side of red arrow, at the large yellow arrow = 1/4" chk ball

below, small yellow arrow= NO check ball

Valve body photo:

NO check ball in the bath tub shaped location = upper left of photo yellow circle.

AUX valve body= needs check ball in correct location

Check ball in capsul in case = leave it or remove it. I leave them out

IF I did not mention the other chk balls or arrows, they are correct.

In a bath tub shaped location as in the case or valve body... the separator plate must have 2 holes for a check ball to be placed there. IF there is ONLY 1 hole over the bath tub shape location, NO check ball
Thanks alot for stepping up with an answer. I have taken a new pic to show you, sorry if things are hard to see. Anyhow, going by what you're saying, and also noting the wear and shininess of the hole seats in the plate, I have placed the check balls accordingly, but still have one left...
New pic as follows: RED CIRCLES are the Valve Body check ball positions (noted the bathtub gets NO ball), Yellow Circles are the check ball positions on top of the plate. Green Circle is left over ball, and arrow is possible location? Hard to see any wear/shininess there. As for the capsulated ball, you can take that out with no ill effects? Also, I noted the Aux Valve Body has two holes. Is it possible the other left over ball will be placed on the port which does not contain the capsulated ball?



Thanks again for the response. I'm starting to feel somewhat better about all of this. Also, are these plates/gaskets a dealer only item, or can I get them at a parts store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Crosley's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ... USA
Posts: 8,075
Wiki Edits: 1659

Thanks: 324
Thanked 98 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10BlazerBuilt View Post
Thanks alot for stepping up with an answer. I have taken a new pic to show you, sorry if things are hard to see. Anyhow, going by what you're saying, and also noting the wear and shininess of the hole seats in the plate, I have placed the check balls accordingly, but still have one left...
New pic as follows: RED CIRCLES are the Valve Body check ball positions (noted the bathtub gets NO ball), Yellow Circles are the check ball positions on top of the plate. Green Circle is left over ball, and arrow is possible location? Hard to see any wear/shininess there. As for the capsulated ball, you can take that out with no ill effects? Also, I noted the Aux Valve Body has two holes. Is it possible the other left over ball will be placed on the port which does not contain the capsulated ball?



Thanks again for the response. I'm starting to feel somewhat better about all of this. Also, are these plates/gaskets a dealer only item, or can I get them at a parts store?
A transmission parts house will have v-body gaskets, not regular parts store. At least the regular parts store I know , dont offer v-body gaskets

the AUX v-body gets one check ball. Should be witness mark on separator plate for location. Depending on year of trans, the AUX check ball was held in place with little wire cap cover.

If the check ball for AUX v-body is not there, you will have problems

Only one check in the bath tub. there are 2 holes over a bath tub because the oil changes directions and the chk ball needs to block one hole at a time.

If you notice the one bath tub area (NO chk ball) , the hole in the separator plate is square. Check balls do not go over square holes
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 PM
InDeep****Now
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lenoir NC
Posts: 49
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley View Post
A transmission parts house will have v-body gaskets, not regular parts store. At least the regular parts store I know , dont offer v-body gaskets

the AUX v-body gets one check ball. Should be witness mark on separator plate for location. Depending on year of trans, the AUX check ball was held in place with little wire cap cover. If the check ball for AUX v-body is not there, you will have problems
I just saw the "witness mark" before checking back to this post... It has a tiny dimple on the plate where there is NO HOLE. That's what's throwing me off! So it actually seats in the AUX VALVE BODY! Alrighty then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley View Post
Only one check in the bath tub. there are 2 holes over a bath tub because the oil changes directions and the chk ball needs to block one hole at a time.

If you notice the one bath tub area (NO chk ball) , the hole in the separator plate is square. Check balls do not go over square holes
I was wondering that before spending all day researching and trying to put it all of this together.

Thanks again for all of your help! I can sleep now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Angelo, Texas
Age: 66
Posts: 147
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 15
Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Maybe you will have better luck than me, but I've never been able to save one once it got water in it. Water starts ruining all the fiber parts and glue immediately. Anyway, good luck and let us know how you come out. Bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM
InDeep****Now
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lenoir NC
Posts: 49
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssimpala View Post
Maybe you will have better luck than me, but I've never been able to save one once it got water in it. Water starts ruining all the fiber parts and glue immediately. Anyway, good luck and let us know how you come out. Bill.
I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear the first part... lol Didn't seem to be alot of water. Just enough to turn it pink. My fluid level wasn't over the top when I checked after the incident. It was even in the range on the dipstick. Anyways, I'm gonna try to be positive about this stuff and hope that it's been caught before bad things could have happened. If not, I learned quite a bit in one day about 700R4 transmissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2012, 03:25 PM
InDeep****Now
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lenoir NC
Posts: 49
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
700R4/4L60 (non electric) Check Ball locations.

The other day I went through an entire ordeal trying to salvage the transmission in my 1989 S10 Blazer 4x4. This is a factory 700R4 with no modifications. In the process, I searched for over a day trying to find help on check ball locations, and unfortunately, not one piece of info found on the net helped me out. Some mechanic sites had the check balls postioned over bolt holes, some sites showed ball locations, but some balls omitted for shift kits. So I figured I would post pics of all of the proper locations for a factory 700R4 transmission (4 speed overdrive w/aux valve body) Tips for location, look closely at the separator plate for ball wear. Holes with wear. Hope this helps someone in the same circumstance down the road. So far, my transmission is working just fine. Hope it stays that way. I used Vaseline to keep the balls in place in the valve body, and on the separator plate as I installed, because the tranny was still in the truck. Total, there are nine check balls. 8 of them 1/4", and one 5/16". One of the 1/4" check balls are in the case side of the tranny itself held in place in a capsule, which is located beneath the auxilary valve body. Some people elect to remove it. I did not.



Location of 1/4" check ball inside of Aux Valve Body:



Case side of separator plate with 1/4" check balls (4 of them) in proper locations:



Then the valve body itself with two 1/4" check balls, and one 5/16" check ball:



Hope this helps someone who has to face an aggravating situation, and save them some trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-24-2012, 11:46 AM
InDeep****Now
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lenoir NC
Posts: 49
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I promised to update everyone in how saving my water ridden tranny went. (Flashflood) Well, after all the work I've done, flushing the system, and pulling valve body, etc., that my tranny is doing what she is supposed to, and so far, everything is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4l60, 700r4, ball, check, location

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SK6 truck kit check ball questions (C6) ekacpuc Transmission - Rearend 5 12-28-2011 02:05 PM
700r4 check ball location question ruined344 Transmission - Rearend 6 03-10-2011 05:32 AM
700R4/4L60 3rd Gear Slip Questions ih1974d1100 Transmission - Rearend 5 06-19-2006 04:27 PM
4L60E check ball location? gemini86 Transmission - Rearend 11 04-18-2006 09:02 PM
57 Hydra-matic check ball MeligN Transmission - Rearend 3 04-15-2004 06:29 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.