700r4 4x4 1989 reverse gear works half the time - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 PM
NEED 4 SPEED!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 4x4 1989 reverse gear works half the time

I have a 1989 Chevy 1500 4x4. The truck sat for about a year before I bought it from a friend. The transmission worked fine for about a month or so, then the reverse started to give problems.

Current problem:
Reverse only works when the transmission IS COLD. After it warms up, the reverse doesn't work. It works real good when it is cold after it just starts up, it grips up strong. When it WARMS UP it generally has NOTHING in reverse, if it has anything at all when it is warm, its only enough to hold itin position and not roll forwards on SLIGHTY unlevel gound.

Thought about rebuilding it, but I have no experience with transmissions and wouldn't know a bad looking part if I saw one, besides clutches, so I would probably waste time and money (maybe.)

I read on here that someguys had a similar problem (minus the temperature working vs not working thing) and they just changed the filter and fluid and god did the rest to fix it.

Another guys on here said to someone they used tranny cleaner and changed the fluid and it fixed it (probably with the help of god too)

I haven't done anything to try and fix it YET and problem hasn't gotten any worse which might be a good thing lol.

Whats your guy's opinions?.... anything will help, I'm down to putting horseshoes in my pockets and doing a rain dance.

All help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2007, 10:22 PM
NEED 4 SPEED!

Last photo:

I was trying to look up transmission cleaners and all I found was some stuff called "BG Automatic Transmission Quick Clean and Conditioner" and I went onto BG's web site and it suggested to take the truck to a place with BG servicing equipment and have a "trans flush" to clean out the tranny and get all the crap cleaned out of it..... (which I think will cause MORE problems)

heres the link:

http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/transmission.htm

..... beats me what I should do.... I'd rather to this than rebuild it. But I'd rather have a good rebuilt tranny than a questionable one.

The 350 motor leaks oil.... or actually.... it RAINS oil..... so I'm going to be replacing the timing chain and oil pan gaskets which may spark my urge ro pull the motor, if I do, I might want to pull the front of the tranny apart and inspect this reverse clutch/drum deal.... but I won't have time to pull the motor for about 8 months.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:54 PM

Last photo:

sounds like you have a leaking seal in the reverse drum or the low reverse clutches when the fluid is cold it is thick enough to make a seal when it warms up it doesnt seal I would say it is time to tear it down
Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 AM

I would not "flush" this trans in hopes of a miraculous fix, as this will only "flush" your money from your pocket into someone elses.

It is time to bite the bullet on this trans I think.

By the way, I like that saying, "down to putting horseshoes in my pocket and doing a rain dance".

I think I know what it means, but will you clarify?

If you've not rebuilt a transmission before, I think your decision to abstain is a wise one. How about a visit to your friendly neighborhood transmission shop.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.