Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 or is it

819 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  F&J 
#1 ·
Last post

Well Im in the process of installing this trans in my truck. I came across this little bugger (see attached pic), I had no clue what it does. Went thru my caprice manual, it does not show. Then I noticed that the pics in my manual are a bit different from what my trans looks.

Am I mistaken this trans for a 700r4? the closest trans that it looks like is a 250c! What is a 250c? I have never heard of this kinda trans, but my book has one called out in 84 (the trans i have is from an 85 caprice with OD).

What is that little electrical connection for??? :smash:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Jmark said:
Don't take this as fact, but to me it looks like a TH350C trans. It has a modulator so it's not a 700R4. The angled corner on the pan the the 2-3 accumulator cover and pressure tap look just like the TH350. Add the plug to all of that and my GUESS is the lock-up version of the TH350.

Mark
I pulled this trans and motor from a 4sp caprice...I still have the 1985 caprice.

#4 ·
I think the 350c would have the computer plug on the linkage side?

I talked with a friend recently who used to build custom use automatics. I asked him if a 350c could be set up to lock & unlock without a hand switch or computer. First, he said why?, then, why not a 700r4? So I explained I already went to a 2.76 rear and on the highway I just need a little extra drop in rpm. (plus I never liked the wicked low 1st gear in the 700)

He said it could be done, but I don't recall what he said about the mods. Sounded easy though.

I didn't want a manual switch.

IMO, the 350c would work slick in certain vehicles with the right gear & motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.