700r4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006, 11:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4

I've got a 700R4 that my soin and others built in shop class. I installed it into a 89 K1500 suburban. I put 1.5 quarts of fluid in the torque converter before installing, then put 4 quarts in trans before starting. I started it then added 8 more quarts. I noticed smoke coming out of the dipstick pipe. I took it for a drive, wouldn't move much in OD, reverse was good,drive is okay shifts twice but no lockup. In low like OD almost nothing. 2 okay. Need help here! There is no trans shop in this area 35 miles min.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2006, 12:18 PM
0-100 in 2.7 seconds

700r4

hello there,by what you described it sound to me like this t/m was eather assimbled wrong or have cut the press to fit sealing rings or both.these sealing rings are seated to the shaft by a special tool avalible almost any where,but it can also be done by using the pump wich the drum shaft rides and a pick slow slidding them together while working the press to fit ring evenly in to the pump,wich will then compress the ring to the exact fit.as for the wrong assimbly recheck in side the trans for any bent,rubbing,scortching parts.if every thing works out good the air check the drums with 35 psi of air.i squirt oil in to my passages/holes to help find leeks.i also use t/m assimbly lube(or vasoline)to hold my bearings and other things in place.and the smoke is probly parts rubbing inside.hop this helps and if you parts or manuals call bruce @ atlanta parts dis. at 18002412910 ext 313 him and i go way-------------------------------------------------------------->back he has almost everything.tommy
Old 07-15-2006, 04:14 PM

But I'm thinking it may be a valve body problem. I asked my son, they checked the seals and clutch packs with air before they closed it up. Also pulls good in D but OD is neutral and 1 is very weak.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:38 PM
0-100 in 2.7 seconds

you may have a valvebody problem but it is more like a gasket concern.take youre seperater plate(the thin steel plate between the valvebody and case)and put one gasket on it @ a time and make sure all the holes line up and not covering up any of the holes in the steel plate.then checkthe other gasket same way.(most reman. kits have a v for valvebody side and a c for case side cut into the edge of the gasket)and if any holes are blocked .wrong gasket ,and if any holes are partly blacked still replace the gaskets.also while the valve body is out you can check the check ball locations,and pressure test the servo and low/reverse clutches and other drums while the valve body is out and the worm groove ara is accessable.did thay disasimble the valve body and take all the valves and springs?if thay did get an exploided view of the valve body and made extra extra extra shure that everything is back in its proper bore.hope this help ya. tommy

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.