Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 auto shifter floor

15K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
Just pulled my 350turbo out of the 58 panel truck installing a 700r4 in it. had a hurst hyd 2 in it need shifter with overdrive what is everyone running in there's
looked for another hurst but can't seem to find one?

Thanks
68ragtop

#2 ·
lokar makes a nice floor shifter for these trucks. usually a car floor shifter sits to close to the seat in a truck, lokar makes them where you can move it way forward and they offer a longer truck looking lever. it's not cheap.
http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/shifters/shifter-product-pgs/auto-trans-shifter.html

if you have a floor shifter for the 350, it will work you just won't be able to go into L1 manually. L1 with your stock rearend is probably only good for about 3 mph. you can probably modify it to pull back a little more to find L1 by grinding the back stop off a little or by changing the length of the trans lever a little. just make sure your detentes and neutral safety switch still work.

you never did post a pic of your panel. :spank: or make your presence known in the 55-59 chevy truck thread :spank: :spank: double spank

#5 ·
have to worry about getting 700r4 in first

Went to put the 700r4 in today and the cross member runs into the trans pan need about a 1 inch clearance either I find one that fits or start and do some cutting and welding on the pan to make it fit I love working on the truck?????? love working on truck.

#6 ·
you or the previous owner had to cut out the big x-member at the bell housing to install the th350. this x-member also hold the weight of the cab. so any x-member should be fabricated to keep the twist out of the cab mounts. twisty cab mounts will cause the front of the cab to drop making it hard to line up fenders or fit the doors.

there are a thousand ways to make a x-member this is mine. fully boxed frame and the tubes running to the cab mounts for support. i was unable to add the 2nd tube on the drivers side due to interference with the hydroboost. the 700r4 mount is on a piece of 2x2 angle that bolts into the center gap.

i doubt if you have your panel body off for this job. but any reinforcing you can do to keep the cab mounts from sagging will help.

still waiting on pics :spank: :eek:

#7 ·
700r4

I tried to send pics but keeps coming up invalid file type
The cross member is still there I have a panel that comes off the firewall that go's under truck. Has bolts holding it down don't know what you would call it. axcess panel?? and I bent it up for now will have to pull carpet and console to fix going and try the tranny now.

Attachments

#9 ·
68ragtop said:
I have a panel that comes off the firewall that go's under truck. Has bolts holding it down don't know what you would call it. axcess panel??
i call it the trans cover :D

nice freeking panel truck. i have a soft place for panels, my wife calls it my brain...

my 59 from 1976, still own it. 1 ton, long wheel base. parked in a friends junkyard, not looking this good.

#11 ·
700r4

Your Lucky the big pond is in between us or I'd come over and get that panel from ya live in green bay been over there for the dream cruise 3 years in a row 10 years ago went over for the woodward tigers car show 3 years in a row hopped the badger and drove the ragtop the rest of the way took me a little less then a year to get the panel this far. still not happy with my paint job on it. But when are ya happy with your work thinking I can do it better guess that's a car think

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.