700R4 band pin stuck ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 band pin stuck ?

Trying to pull my 700R4 apart. Got most loose so far, but the band pen that is supposed to "pop out" a little bit by shaking the shaft/drum around will not pop out. The end of the pen is still inside the band material, and I cannot get a small screw driver in there to push it out. The pen will push back in about an eighth of an inch, and when I wiggle the drum/shaft around, it comes back up flush to the surface of the valve body, but refuses to come out far enough to grab the *** end of it.

I have watched a few vids of disassembly, and it looked as if it is supposed to come out fairly easily by wiggling the shaft/drum, but mine is not doing it, and of course there is nothing to grab that back side of the pen to pull it out.

Any tricks, anyone?

Thanks in advance..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 PM

Last journal entry: The Cheetah
Last photo:

With pump and servo removed,grab a BIG screwdriver and place it next to the left side of the pin between the band and case. Push up on the input shaft with one hand,and push up on the screwdriver with the other.The band will come up enough to clear the pin.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Damned pin still stuck

For what it's worth, I got a very good deal on the trans, when the previous owner had installed the torque converter on the flywheel first, then tried to "plug" the oil pump dogs. He didn't make it, and put washers between the trans and the block because it "wouldn't go". So when he started it up, the dogs finally engaged, and obliterated the oil pump, including the outside perimeter "slide" in the oil pump. So the thing took a HUGE shock. I just wonder, since the pin is not perpendicular to the casing, if the case is screwed or not. Question is, is the pin supposed to be flush and perpendicular to the casing? Will try to post pictures.. not sure I can.. but will try..

To answer the cordial response, I have jacked that SOB till I thought I may damage something, but it just won't go...
Old 01-29-2014, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

That dang Pin that looks crooked

Here is a pic of the band pin, and it looks to be to be slightly crooked. Is this the way it's supposed to be? or if not.......I may be in trouble. Thanks for anybody's input..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00578.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	117530  
Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

The pin looks like that in all of them....It's not uncommon for them to be stuck when taking them apart.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:09 AM

Last photo:

And if the screwdriver didn't work,use a meduim size pry bar type screwdriver.One with a 30 degree bend in it.Only this time pull DOWN on the screwdriver,putting pressure on the band against the drum,as you're pushing up on the input shaft.Don't be gentle.Some are tougher to clear that pin than others.And the servo has to be removed before doing this.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

Thanks again, Rick....

Well, this afternoon, I suppose I'll just grapple with that dang thing again.. by the way, you mentioned "clear the pin" rather than having the pin pop out. Are you saying the band should come loose/out with the pin still in it's "in" position? And I tried the "magnet" trick, which did not work either.. grrrrrrrr.. and I DID take the servo out first..(was a bit surprised that it's a Corvette servo).. somebody had rebuilt the trans before the "guy" bought it and from screwed it up. OH, by the way, the remaining fluid that was in the trans was kind of a light blueish green, nearly clear. Weird fluid. Awaiting a new pump from Transmission Depot and a TransGo 2 & 3 kit from Summit....So far, everything besides the pump looks to be brand new and very clean on the insides. Pump bushings look like zero wear on them. Plan on only removing the front drum and look at the clutches. If they all look new also, and of a "high" quality, that may be as far as I go. Since the trans was painted an irridescent blood red, and there are some fresh stampings on the top of the case, I'm thinking that a real shop rebuilt it and put the Corvette upgraded servo in it..

Last edited by '49 Ford Coupe; 01-30-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Yes,the goal is to get the band lug over the top of the pin. Then once everything is out,just tap the pin out of the case.When you put it back together,put in a new band.The pin should go back in easier than it came out.But it's ok if you have to lightly tap the pin back in.Tap until it's flush with the case.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Boy I surely hate being a pain in the *****, but that band is not coming loose from the pin... there is a reinforcement collar that looks like it's pressed into the band that sticks up about another 1/8" above the band, and when prying the band as far as I can, even cramming a screwdriver between the case and band, the pin is still firmly inside the band.

Here's a question.. Ever heard of anybody drilling the backside of the pin, then use an easy-out or tap the pin and put a small bolt in it to pull it out?

Just got my TransGo kit, and I have to really give credit to Summit Racing and UPS. Monday, I ordered it and got my acknowledgment which said it would be delivered today. Then yesterday morning I got an email saying it may be 1 or 2 days late because UPS was not picking up from the Atlanta warehouse because of all the traffic problems in and around Atlanta. Then last night at 9 pm I got another email saying it was shipping instead from the Ohio warehouse. It shipped last night at about 10:30 and got here about noon, and I did not pay ANY premium shipping. These guys and UPS aught to be running the country.....ha.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

IT's OUT !

Thanks Rick.... IT FINALLY CAME OUT. Here is why it wouldn't come out. The band is brand new, lettering printed on the face of the friction surface looks like it was just printed, so it never ran long enough to get "seated", I guess. Anyway, it was getting cocked relative to the drum, only about 1/4" off of concentric fit to the drum, and was holding the drum from coming out. So after hammering it back in place, pulling the drum, hammering back in place 3 or 4 times, it finally allowed the drum to come out...

By the way, just also got my MASTER SHIFT DVD for teardown and rebuild... so far it look just GREAT !...
Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

Give you trasn guy a slap in teh head. Who installs a trans like that?? Stupidest thing Ive ever heard of.

Glad you got it, yes a new band wouldnt have been "burnished: in yet. SOme people do that manually.

peace
Hog
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

After doing this a few times, I've learned to slip the band out first, before pulling the drum or the pin. I also install the band after the drum is in place. It goes in and comes out pretty well with a little practice. Otherwise, you can damage the band friction by dragging the drum past it. Look carefully at the edges of the band friction and the lube/cooling slots that run through it. If they are feathered or if there are any cracks, replace the band. It's a $30 part, $40 for the premium extra wide band like I run. Better to spend the extra money than risk having chunks of friction floating around in the unit. Measure the band before ordering a new one. If it's 2 5/8" wide, it's the extra wide band and you'll want to replace it with an extra wide.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

^ x2.....the band goes in AFTER the drums are installed.Doing it any other way is wrong.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.