700r4 behind a pontiac - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 behind a pontiac

I'm trying to put a 700r4 behoind a pontiac 455. i got a shifter cable that will work, a crossmember and adapter plate to bolt a chevy pattern transmission to my pontiac motor. However there's a hitch, the pontiac crank has a 1.38 inch pilot hole where the 700r4 torque converter has a 1.7 inch pilot. oops... so, is there anything I can do to make this thing work? I've scoured the internet but I haven't seen any solutions for this. Thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

About the only way would be to change the crank. Some cranks were machined smaller in that area,you may have to change it.
I dont recall exactly when or what sizes they did that to, but I do remember it was an issue. I havent heard of any solutions to the problem,other than changing the crank or having it machined larger.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Last photo:

Two suggestions that I can think of that might work.

Make the hole in the crank bigger, which would require putting the crank in a lathe and machining the hole out.

Or turn down the pilot on the torque converter in a lathe.

Either would not hurt the balance of either part.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Well, I really don't want to take the motor back out and tear it down, this is a fresh build (very expensive too) and a brand new crank from Eagle. I guess I took it for granted that all the pilot holes were the same, I've never seen one of a different size in the GM world. I've been digging around though and I'm not finding much. I may end up with a manual transmission as I've found all the parts I'd need to make that work as-is. I really would like a TKO500, I just wont be able to afford it until I can sell this transmission and save some more money, which would realistically push project completion out until summer at best

I'm so close to being done as it is, I just need a transmission and bolt my starter and exhaust back up.... I'll be spending some time trying to find a solution for this problem before I go spending any more money though. I don't know if the lathe idea would work on the torque converter.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You cant machine that much off of the converter hub, you will machine the thing right off removing that much Iron.
I am wondering if Eagle forgot a step in the manufacturing process. Did you call them to ask if they machine the pilot to a specific diameter.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
You cant machine that much off of the converter hub, you will machine the thing right off removing that much Iron.
I am wondering if Eagle forgot a step in the manufacturing process. Did you call them to ask if they machine the pilot to a specific diameter.
Is the converter hub hollow? I thought they were solid. I sure don't know without looking. Removing .320" is not all that much on a round hub if it's solid.

If it's solid, I know what I'd do if I wanted a auto trans. But then a TKO 5-speed would be cool too.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

http://www.700r4.com/tech/tc_article...terparts.shtml

Look at piece number 1. The center is the inside of the pilot that goes in the crank. The blowup is a 700r4 torque converter and not just a generic one
Old 12-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I did a quick check in a converter book. That 1.704 pilot size should fit the Pontiac engine. That new Crank is not machined with a GM pilot size it seems?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
I did a quick check in a converter book. That 1.704 pilot size should fit the Pontiac engine. That new Crank is not machined with a GM pilot size it seems?
That was my thought, however I do recall reading somewhere that a few years of pontiacs had the pilot machined to a smaller size. seems there are 3 different sizes IIRC. I am still looking for the article.
It does seem odd that a new crank was machined to a smaller dimension than a torque converter would slide into, but that is what pontiac did anyhow.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Here is the article I was looking for
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiac...accrankpn.html
It explains it pretty well, but it states the pre 64 crank needed maching to fit a turbo hydramatic.
That takes me back to the manufacturer, could it be machined wrong?

Last edited by latech; 12-28-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have to Concur with crosley at this time. Question the manufacturer.Sounds incorrectly machined. Hmmm.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
That was my thought, however I do recall reading somewhere that a few years of pontiacs had the pilot machined to a smaller size. seems there are 3 different sizes IIRC. I am still looking for the article.
It does seem odd that a new crank was machined to a smaller dimension than a torque converter would slide into, but that is what pontiac did anyhow.

yes, my converter book is at 1964 and up. Earlier trans were in the Jetaway - Roto-Hydramatic - Hydro trans stuff. Which for some reason we had some of these old cores come in with a load of parts.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

indeed it was machined to a pre '64 spec... on purpose as well. but i have no idea why.

http://www.eaglerod.com/index.php?op...d=21&Itemid=32

--edit can't link straight to it, you have to search for part number 45542106625
actually looks like all their pontiac cranks are like this. seems like other people would have had problems, or they were smart enough to check first?

sooo... oops... hehe. yeah that hub looks to be a sheet metal cap or cover over something else, you can't machine it. i called several reputable transmission shops/rebuilders today and also said this could be fixed at a machine shop, if I take the crank out. It wouldn't really be that bad, i have the space and tools and all just annoying. Should have checked this before I put the thing together ya know?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yeah, thats too bad cave man ...
maybe do a google search to see if that has been a problem with the paticualer manufacturer, so you have some ammo when you call them.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

I pulled out a '73 service manual and I see a pilot bearing PN15533265 (1.3780"OD x 0.5906"ID x 0.3543"W). turns out it's not that a crank is pre-64 or not, i think that's misinformation. it's that apparently pontiac differentiated between auto and manual cranks. Thanks for the help guys. I will let y'all know what I end up doing. oh it's definitely machine-able btw.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.