700r4 bushings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 bushings

...not trying to sound ignorant but I think it'd be ignorant not to ask. When rebuilding a 700r4, is it "mandatory" to replace the bushings? If so which ones, all or just certain ones. I'm asking because I dont have a press or the bushing install tools. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

Lets put it this way; if that $3 bushing fails and you have to remove that sucker and tear into it again; you're gonna rethink this.

That being said; there's a lot of 'quality' issues with rebuilder bushings (this is coming from a transmission design aspect). A lot of the bushings the factory built the assembly with are ream-in-place and the rebuilder bushing is a standard size, which may be on the loose side.

Thats just engineer speak.
The crux is this; take your housing to the local trans shop and ask them nicely when they're not busy if they'll press them in for you. Offer up a pizza or whatever. I didn't have a press at home for years and I figure Ive spent the same amount of money on pizza and beer as a HF press costs; BUT its nice to be friendly with the local shop. Don't forget to grab a handful of his business cards. Remember his time really IS money. If you go there a lot; you really should pay his labor fee. Some guys won't do anything without billing you an hourly rate; don't get mad. I have one friend who loves the pizza and beer routine; and another that will charge an hour labor to do anything related to his business during business hours. They're both right.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Bushing press???? I have bushing drivers. Nothing more then solid steel stock turned to fit the ID of the bushing and just a little undersize of the OD and drilled and tapped for a driver handle. I made all mine years ago on a lathe for less then $30. I've used them to rebuild turbo 400,350,powerglides, and 700r. I always replace the bushings on a rebuild. If your worried about bushing clearance, then get a factory service manual out and measure the clearance. Thats how they taught me at Tech school years ago.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

I think Auto Zone rents tools. you pony up the buck, bring the tool back with all its parts and get your money back
Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 AM

Last journal entry: 700r4 still running strong

I used a 1/2 in. bolt with enough threads on it to push the bushing into what ever I needed it to.I think it was a 6 in. bolt.Then I used a lot of difference sized 1/2 in. washers,thick ones,thin ones,wide & narrow.Some of the washers worked perfect,others I traced around the bushing onto the washer an used my bench grinder to grind it to size,slightly smaller than the o.d. of the bushing.I also had some thick 1 in. plastic and used difference sized hole saws,what ever was close to the i.d.of of the bushing and used those on the under side of the bushing to keep the bushing from cocking when driving them in.This works well but took along time to do.It best to get every thing to size before because you can use them to drive them out.Pay attention to how far the bushing are inside to what ever it is your driving out of so the new bushing can go in the same place.Spray every thing with break cleaner then use red lock tite on the bushing an install. You'll need a big vice to put the bolt head in then start stacking an lining every thing up.I didn't have a press either and I didn't want to pay like 400.00 for the bushing driver set.Auto Zone doesn't have anything that will work.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:59 PM

thanks guys.. I was leaning towards replacement but didnt know if it was one of those things where a "veteran trans guy" says.... "nah you dont need to unless theyre really buggered up"

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.