700R4 conversion for a 56 chev 265 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 06:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 conversion for a 56 chev 265

I installed a 700R4 behind a 56 Chev 265. This requires a bell housing adapter, 1/4 inch thick, so that the starter can be mounted, since the original had the starter mounted on the bell housing. When installing the trans, with the included spacers between the flex plate and the converter, it looks like the nose on the converter does not extend into the pocket on the end of the crank. I think if the converter it is not located by that hole, there could be misalignment enough to cause vibration and other problems. I do not think the bolts on the flex plate will properly align the converter without the support of the center hole in the crank. Any first hand advise for this conversion? Using a later engine is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007, 04:53 AM
Custom Fabricator

Last journal entry: 1970 plymouth cuda 440 6pack
Wiki Edits: 0

i just posted a similar question. i am installing a 700R4 behind a 55 , 265 and just found out about the adapter. i was hoping it would go smooth.

i know on the mopars the only thing centering the torque converter is the bolts to the flywheel and it works ok but i cant say for sure about the chevrolet converters, if it would be ok or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.