Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4 converter lockup/questions
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc307
I have an 1986 camaro z28 with a 700r4 trans in it with a 2800 stall converter and i believe the previous owner put a monster transmission kit in the trans. Well it was switched to a carb and now there's no computer so now the trans don't go into overdrive. I want to hook up the trans to a switch to manually lock the converter in overdrive, i don't want it to do it automatically like with that brake switch stuff or vacuum switch, and there's other ways probably. I just wanna flip a switch and the converter locks. Also i read somewhere you can lock the converter in 2nd or 3rd gear.... what would this do? i know you cant lock it up in 1st cause GM designed it that you cant, no oil supply or something like that. Also the trans has a shift kit and all that stuff but maybe its me but to me it don't shift as hard as i thought it would..... its firmer then stock and quicker but not really that firm idk how hard it should shift and also 2nd to 3rd seem like there really close together like barely any rpm change. Sorry for all the questions, this is new to me everything i owned before this was stick. Let me know any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mark.
An easy way is to use a Toggle switch to supply either 12V+ or -Ground to the TCC Solenoid.
You can supply 12V+ to Pin-A or -Ground to Pin-D on the Trans electrical Plug.
http://www.hughesperformance.com/pdfs/HP700-R4.pdf

Other Lockup Diagrams:
trans. is it a 700r4?
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/LockupTCCWiring.htm

Locking the TCC in 2nd & 3rd would only slightly help fuel mileage.
A TC/TorqueConverter with a higher than stock Stall Rating will soften shifts even with a Shift Kit installed.

Stacked shifts are usually an indication of the TV cable being set too loose but could also be a Servo problem. TV cable setting is critical to this safe Trans operation.
Loose cable = Low pressure/soft early shifts.
Tight cable = High Pr./Firm later shifts.