Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4 converter lockup/questions
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc307
700r4 trans did have a computer it told the trans when to shift into overdrive, the first 3 gears are mechcanical, if you click on the hughs perfomance link above and it shows the 4 prong plug, and i believe prong D says it from the ECM which tells the trans when to use overdrive................ so you can use a 700r4 with out a computer but if its a lock up converter style the converter wont lock in, unless you rewire it which is what im doing and thats why overdrive dont work.
http://www.hughesperformance.com/pdfs/HP700-R4.pdf
sorry guy, you are very mis-informed of the 700R4. it is a 4 speed automatic that has torque converter with an internal clutch that is engaged by a solenoid that is fed power through the electrical connector you see on the drivers side of the case. it is not for o.d. engagement, it is for the converter clutch operation.
the converter clutch can be omitted and the trans will have all 4 forward gears without a single wire hooked up to that trans if it is internally in proper working order.
the ventura you see in my avitar has a 700R4 that i built and purposely built without the use of the converter clutch operation and it has all 4 forward gears and no electrical hooked up. all i wanted was a hydraulic 4 speed which is what the 700R4 is.