Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4 – Did I "miss" the band when reinstalling the servo?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 01:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 – Did I "miss" the band when reinstalling the servo?

Hello all, lime time lurker, first time poster.

I’ve got a 1987 700R4 (w/ auxiliary valve body) that I recently installed TCI’s full manual valve body (no engine braking) kit. Before the manual valve body was installed, I had a perfectly fine transmission with maybe 5000 miles since her last full rebuild. I know for a fact that all the clutches and bands were working perfectly before the manual valve body installation.

The TCI kit comes with a completely new valve body AND a kit to upgrade the servo to “Corvette” specs (whatever that means). Since my 700R4 came out of a Camaro (I think… it was a bone yard transmission) I decided to upgrade the servo per TCI’s instructions. As I pulled the servo out, I was surprised to see that the existing servo was identical to the “Corvette” spec’d servo that TCI supplied. I’m now thinking that this transmission of mine came out of a 350 limited edition Z28 since it also has the shorter speedometer gear cover. Anyway, I reinstalled the servo per the TCI instructions.

Once back together, I took the car for her first test drive. Reverse engaged firmly, as did first gear. However, once I pulled the shifter into second gear, nothing happened. Going one step further into third, the tranny finally shifted, but completely skipping second gear and going straight into third. It also shifted very slowly and seemed to slip as it was doing such. Going for fourth gear, nothing happened. The transmission stayed in third gear even as the shifter was in the final (4th) gear position.

After talking with the TCI techs and getting absolutely nowhere, I called up a local transmission shop and they suggested that I possibly “missed” the band when I was reinstalling the servo. I didn’t really think this was possible. I didn’t pay much attention to aligning of the servo when I reinstalled everything.

Does this sound like a good case for my current transmission problems? At first, I thought it was just low fluid levels but then intuition told me low fluid levels would mean 1st and 3rd gears probably would have worked either.

HELP!!!