700r4 Front Pump Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2003, 06:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 700r4 Front Pump Question

Hey,

I'm rebuilding an 85 700r4, and while its going well, I have a question about the pump. I took the pump apart to rebuild it, and I found that on the inside of the front cover where the slide and rotor sit, there are two circular scratches that are deep enough to catch my fingernail. Now the rebuilding video I have says that this area should be perfectly flat and smooth. I mean you can see the scratches but they aren't overly deep, but enough to catch my fingernail. So do you guys think I need a new pump?

Also, if I should get a new pump, do you think I should get one from an 87+ unit? Since the 87+ has a 10 vane and the drainback holes are already drilled larger? The only problem I have with this is that the 87+ units have a provision for the oil tube for the auxiliary valve body which my 85 doesn't have. So if I didn't use this hole in the 87+ pump would it make a difference?

I really appreciate the help!

BTW I can get pics up soon so you can see the scratches I'm talking about.

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2003, 07:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I too have read the warnings of the 'pump police' about the need for perfection. If I were you, I would be inclined to believe them and get the new pump. The 10-vane unit is perported to be a very good upgrade and the cost is low enough that it is good assurance against having to take the thing out of the car again.

I just rebuilt a junk yard 200R4 for my '53 Chevy pickup. Thing was perfect inside, no clutch wear, bushings perfect, only problem was a broken accumulator spring. In view of the great overall condition, I didn't even break the pump open so I didn't have to make the decision you do!
Old 03-12-2003, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the response!

Yea i wish i never opened the pump up, lol

Anyhow, the only thing I'm looking for is just some confirmation that the 87+ pump is going to be compatible in the 85 700r4. I'm leary just because the 87+ has that auxiliary valve body tube going into the pump...

Mike
Old 03-12-2003, 09:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Contact

www.700r4.com

They know everything about these monsters.

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>
Old 03-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Crosley ]</p>
Old 03-12-2003, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

what is it with this web site 700r4 .com this for
bulletin board is not supposed to be for add's????
I came here to give free advise to help others, that web site only wants to sell their products,just had to but my 2 cents in on this matter

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: airworld2 ]</p>
Old 03-12-2003, 07:43 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Crosley, are you saying I can try to sand these scratches out? Also, what can be used to plug the auxiliary tube hole? A pipe plug?

Here are some pics of the scratches:

Pump Pics

Take a look and let me know what you guys think, that is if I need a new pump or if I can get away with some sanding?
Old 03-13-2003, 01:21 AM

I would never use that pump, just looking at picture "34" scared me off. It is not worth it to try to sand that out and then have to buy a new pump later when it gets chewed up and ruines your tranny. You can get the earlier non 732 pump and put the larger vane kit in it, then you won't have to plug the hole for the aux. vb, and the 13 vane will be better than the 732.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cool

I removed my answers so as not confuse anyone with amature comments

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Crosley ]</p>
Old 03-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by airworld2:
<strong>what is it with this web site 700r4 .com this for
bulletin board is not supposed to be for add's????
I came here to give free advise to help others that web site only wants to sell their products,just had to but my 2 cents in on this matter</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry if you think I work for that company. Actually I am a petroleum engineer in Bakersfield California and have bought parts from them for my 2004R rebuild but that is the extent of my affiliation with them. The protocol on this board is to answer questions but also to direct questioners to web sites, often commercial ones, granted, that can answer their questions better than annonymous free 'experts' can. Frankly, on a very expensive piece of equipement like one of these new OD trannys, I would much rather be directed to an expert commercial site than depend on 14 differing amature 'free' opinions, wouldn't you?
Old 03-14-2003, 02:17 PM

Last photo:

I would find another pump. My situation may be unique but I would go to the local junkyard and get a core or two. I get a whole 700 core for $40 and a core with parts missing for $20.
I have seven 700 cores right now that I have found in peoples trash, the core pile etc, None of them have pumps that look as bad as yours.
Make sure your lines are clean, cooler is flushed, converter is new or rebuilt to prevent this from happening again.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

your right the person you trust is the one that does know he stuff, that why I came here all I do is rebuild automatic transmissions, and I am willing to give my knowlege that I have gather over doing only tranmission repair for over 25 years and my family including myself own 3 transmission repair shop in this town I not only work on 700 r4, but this trans has lot of people installing in early gm body cars and its not as hard as some might have you beleive.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cool

airworld2.......

I built my first automatic in 1974. I don't remember the date or even what month. My 68 SS 396 Chevelle had a pressure plate explosion with out a scatter shield, so automatics looked good to me at that point.

I owned my first tranny shop in 1979.

After many years of being the 'boss' and running things pretty much 24/7 I closed up and took an offer from my current employer. We build trannys and related componets that are shipped around the world.

I am glad to see someone else around that can provide quality information. There is so much incorrect information out there.

I wondered in here when someone sent me some email asking me to read a post on a 700 problem here. When he started his vehicle and put the tranny into any gear the engine stalled.

The poster had a lock up converter in the 700 with a TransGo "non lock up " conversion kit in the pump. This will cause the lock up clutch to apply as soon as the trany sees main line pressure. He removed the non lock up kit and reinstalled the OEM valve and all was well.

An observation I have made of your posts is: you need to learn to punctuate your posts so they are easier to read.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

have read your post and your right mine have some time been a bit fast wrtten point well taken didnt know grammar/ engish tested here if so alot of people would fail [quote]Originally posted by Crosley:
<strong>airworld2.......

I built my first automatic in 1974. I don't remember the date or even what month. My 68 SS 396 Chevelle had a pressure plate explosion with out a scatter shield, so automatics looked good to me at that point.

I owned my first tranny shop in 1979.

After many years of being the 'boss' and running things pretty much 24/7 I closed up and took an offer from my current employer. We build trannys and related componets that are shipped around the world.

I am glad to see someone else around that can provide quality information. There is so much incorrect information out there.

I wondered in here when someone sent me some email asking me to read a post on a 700 problem here. When he started his vehicle and put the tranny into any gear the engine stalled.

The poster had a lock up converter in the 700 with a TransGo "non lock up " conversion kit in the pump. This will cause the lock up clutch to apply as soon as the trany sees main line pressure. He removed the non lock up kit and reinstalled the OEM valve and all was well.

An observation I have made of your posts is: you need to learn to punctuate your posts so they are easier to read.</strong><hr></blockquote>

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: airworld2 ]

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: airworld2 ]</p>

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.