700r4 front pump replacement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 front pump replacement

I have a 96 gmc p/u, with a 700r4, that i beleive has a front pump problem... It is leaking from behind the torque converter,I replaced the seal and it still pouring fluid. I have it out again and need to know how to remove the plate and front pump,i have all seven bolts out but can't get the plate to let go is there something im doing wrong or what? Very much appreciated!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I think there is a tool for pulling the pump. I've never done it personally but when I did my 4l80e I read about someone having the pan off and you can get a bar in and give it a little push. Look on the pass side near the front and see if you can see the back of the pump. A friend did mine.

If the new seal didn't work it prob needs a bushing in the pump, I had the same issue. Check the converter too and see how worn it is. Make sure you don't overfill it. I did the first time and blew the seal again, oops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by soco97700
I have a 96 gmc p/u, with a 700r4, that i beleive has a front pump problem... It is leaking from behind the torque converter,I replaced the seal and it still pouring fluid. I have it out again and need to know how to remove the plate and front pump,i have all seven bolts out but can't get the plate to let go is there something im doing wrong or what? Very much appreciated!!
You have a 4L60E trans, if it is a 1996, not a 700

um, you need to remove the trans pan... remove the filter from the pump, remove the lock up solenoid from the pump.

A 1996 unit will have the PWM solenoid in the way of the lock up solenoid. There is a clip to remove the PWM solenoid, use a stiff paper clip with a short bent over tip to remove the PWM solenoid

then look at the lock up solenoid and see if you cracked the snout of it by trying to remove the pump

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.