700R4- full manual control - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 09:21 AM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4- full manual control

I have a 700R4 that I'm planning to put in a 34 Ford coupe project that is underway. I've seen a Transgo kit that advertises full manual control of shift points, but have not yet purchased one and have no prior experience with one. Do these kits actually give a person the same degree of control over shift points that changing to a full manual valve body on a TH-350 or TH-400 does?
By the way, I plan to install a toggle switch control of converter lock-up.

I've read in previous threads all of the problems that can arise from TV cable adjustment problems...does using one of these kits set up for manual control eliminate the need to have TV cable adjustment set precisely? Or would TV cable adjustment still have an affect on some other aspect of transmission operation besides shift point?

I'm assuming that if one uses these kits set for full manual control, then there is no need to concern oneself with spring and weight selection, is this correct?

Last question, pertaining to 4L60E: I see that Transgo also offers a similar kit for the 4L60E that they say gives full manual control. Would one of these kits eliminate the need for the factory computer on a 4L60E? Or does the computer control more complex functions besides shift point, such as for example individual clutch pack operation? My reason for asking is, I suspect the later 4L60E might offer some advanatages over the 700R4, but I'd really prefer not to have to go the route of installing the computer control that standard 4L60E's require.

Sorry if some of these questions seem silly or trivial...automatic transmissions are, for me, the least understood component on a vehicle. Thanks for any comments that you transmission experts can offer!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

powerbill,

full manual shifts mean eggzackly that.... no automatic shifts.

The full manual Transgo kit for the 4L60 / 700r4 uses the TV cable to control main line pressure only in full manual shift mode. Other manufacturers full manual kits may not use the TV. Once you convert a 700 v-body to full manual with a transgo kit , there is no changing back like some of his kits

The problem with runing high main line pressure in a 700 full time is the aluminum pump. It will wear fast at say a steady 220 psi main line

the full manual kit for the 4L60E removes the computer from the tranny hookup.. Main line pressure is vacuum controlled from a feed to the engine intake manny fold.

The 4L60E is not any stronger than the 700 non electronic trannys are.

The 4L65E has some beefier parts, but they still break parts.

NO..... the vacuum main line pressure control from a 4L60E kit will not swap to a 700 / 4L60 tranny.... waaay different valve bodies.

there are various valve bodies for the 700 trannys.....

www.ckperformance.com has some 700r4 v-bodys that may interest you......

Old 02-06-2005, 05:58 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:

Thank you very much, Crosley, this was exactly the sort of information that I was hoping for.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

I found that my transgo shiftkit only gave me the ability to shift down at any speed, however it upshifted at near-wot/wot only at 5500 (via the governor) - i.e. i didn't allow you to short shift at say 5000rpm.

Im now running a TCI full manual and it does exactly what you want, which includes putting it 1st at 70mph if you asked it to!

The TCI kit gives 300 psi main line pressure, so fingers crossed on pump life, I only do about 1-2000 miles a year, so it might last a little while.

hth,
eliot.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

You must have not installed the full manual shift features in the Transgo 700- 2&3 kit.

Quote:
Originally posted by eliotmansfield
I found that my transgo shiftkit only gave me the ability to shift down at any speed, however it upshifted at near-wot/wot only at 5500 (via the governor) - i.e. i didn't allow you to short shift at say 5000rpm.

Im now running a TCI full manual and it does exactly what you want, which includes putting it 1st at 70mph if you asked it to!

The TCI kit gives 300 psi main line pressure, so fingers crossed on pump life, I only do about 1-2000 miles a year, so it might last a little while.

hth,
eliot.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.