Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4- full manual control

35K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
I have a 700R4 that I'm planning to put in a 34 Ford coupe project that is underway. I've seen a Transgo kit that advertises full manual control of shift points, but have not yet purchased one and have no prior experience with one. Do these kits actually give a person the same degree of control over shift points that changing to a full manual valve body on a TH-350 or TH-400 does?
By the way, I plan to install a toggle switch control of converter lock-up.

I've read in previous threads all of the problems that can arise from TV cable adjustment problems...does using one of these kits set up for manual control eliminate the need to have TV cable adjustment set precisely? Or would TV cable adjustment still have an affect on some other aspect of transmission operation besides shift point?

I'm assuming that if one uses these kits set for full manual control, then there is no need to concern oneself with spring and weight selection, is this correct?

Last question, pertaining to 4L60E: I see that Transgo also offers a similar kit for the 4L60E that they say gives full manual control. Would one of these kits eliminate the need for the factory computer on a 4L60E? Or does the computer control more complex functions besides shift point, such as for example individual clutch pack operation? My reason for asking is, I suspect the later 4L60E might offer some advanatages over the 700R4, but I'd really prefer not to have to go the route of installing the computer control that standard 4L60E's require.

Sorry if some of these questions seem silly or trivial...automatic transmissions are, for me, the least understood component on a vehicle. Thanks for any comments that you transmission experts can offer!

See less See more
#2 ·
powerbill,

full manual shifts mean eggzackly that.... no automatic shifts.

The full manual Transgo kit for the 4L60 / 700r4 uses the TV cable to control main line pressure only in full manual shift mode. Other manufacturers full manual kits may not use the TV. Once you convert a 700 v-body to full manual with a transgo kit , there is no changing back like some of his kits

The problem with runing high main line pressure in a 700 full time is the aluminum pump. It will wear fast at say a steady 220 psi main line

the full manual kit for the 4L60E removes the computer from the tranny hookup.. Main line pressure is vacuum controlled from a feed to the engine intake manny fold.

The 4L60E is not any stronger than the 700 non electronic trannys are.

The 4L65E has some beefier parts, but they still break parts.

NO..... the vacuum main line pressure control from a 4L60E kit will not swap to a 700 / 4L60 tranny.... waaay different valve bodies.

there are various valve bodies for the 700 trannys.....

www.ckperformance.com has some 700r4 v-bodys that may interest you......

:D

#4 ·
I found that my transgo shiftkit only gave me the ability to shift down at any speed, however it upshifted at near-wot/wot only at 5500 (via the governor) - i.e. i didn't allow you to short shift at say 5000rpm.

Im now running a TCI full manual and it does exactly what you want, which includes putting it 1st at 70mph if you asked it to!

The TCI kit gives 300 psi main line pressure, so fingers crossed on pump life, I only do about 1-2000 miles a year, so it might last a little while.

hth,
eliot.

#5 ·
You must have not installed the full manual shift features in the Transgo 700- 2&3 kit.

eliotmansfield said:
I found that my transgo shiftkit only gave me the ability to shift down at any speed, however it upshifted at near-wot/wot only at 5500 (via the governor) - i.e. i didn't allow you to short shift at say 5000rpm.

Im now running a TCI full manual and it does exactly what you want, which includes putting it 1st at 70mph if you asked it to!

The TCI kit gives 300 psi main line pressure, so fingers crossed on pump life, I only do about 1-2000 miles a year, so it might last a little while.

hth,
eliot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.