700R4 goes "CLUNK" from first to second - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 goes "CLUNK" from first to second

Hey guys,

I noticed it for the first time last night cruising to Walmart for groceries. I've got a 700R4 with a shift kit from B&M in it that I had rebuilt about 6 months ago. Last night after sitting at a stop light, I jumped on it a bit and when the car shifted from first to second...and it is a hard shift, it went "clunk"...almost immediately after it shifted...not "when" it shifted.

Any of you guys have an idea? Think it's the tranny or possibly the U-joints or slip yolk? I am hoping it's not the tranny because my warranty on the rebuild ended 8 days ago.

--edit--

I forgot to add that if I take it easy from a dead stop, it doesn't go "clunk". Also, shifting gears manually doesn't cause it to do that, nor does it do this in any other gear. It only happens from first to second.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

what car?

tranny mount bad?

torque arm mount bad? if it is a F body car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz1967
Hey guys,

I noticed it for the first time last night cruising to Walmart for groceries. I've got a 700R4 with a shift kit from B&M in it that I had rebuilt about 6 months ago. Last night after sitting at a stop light, I jumped on it a bit and when the car shifted from first to second...and it is a hard shift, it went "clunk"...almost immediately after it shifted...not "when" it shifted.

Any of you guys have an idea? Think it's the tranny or possibly the U-joints or slip yolk? I am hoping it's not the tranny because my warranty on the rebuild ended 8 days ago.

--edit--

I forgot to add that if I take it easy from a dead stop, it doesn't go "clunk". Also, shifting gears manually doesn't cause it to do that, nor does it do this in any other gear. It only happens from first to second.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Sorry about that.

It's out of an '84 Trans am. I had the transmission rebuilt with a B&M transkit last July. I took a look when I got home from work tonight and found the following...

The Transmission Mount looks solid. No evidence of cracks or wear. No missing bolts. Not sure what you mean by "Torque Arm" but the panhard bar is solid on both ends, both bushings are in decent shape. Looking further I found no "visible" signs of any problems...which to me means it's internal. ICK! Does anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited by Ozz1967; 05-09-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

Quote:
Sorry about that.

It's out of an '84 Trans am. I had the transmission rebuilt with a B&M transkit last July. I took a look when I got home from work tonight and found the following...

The Transmission Mount looks solid. No evidence of cracks or wear. No missing bolts. Not sure what you mean by "Torque Arm" but the panhard bar is solid on both ends, both bushings are in decent shape. Looking further I found no "visible" signs of any problems...which to me means it's internal. ICK! Does anyone else have any ideas?

The torque arm is the the thingy the mounts to the trans to the rear. Runs along side with the driveshaft
Old 05-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Ok, I checked that, nothing looks out of place, all the bushings "look" ok, but I can't see on the tops of them.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

I think what you are calling the torque arm is the Panhard bar? Helps to locate the rear end of the car also if I"m not mistaken.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

Quote:
I think what you are calling the torque arm is the Panhard bar? Helps to locate the rear end of the car also if I"m not mistaken.

The panhard bar is the bar that is mounted in the rear that goes from your frame to the rear helps to stabilizes the car in side to side motions. If you go to the back of your car and look at the rear you will see the panhard bar on an angle.

On an f-body there is no upper control arms so what it needs is a torque arm to stop the pinion angle from moving and a panhard bar to stop it from moving side to side. If the torque arm has any play in is you can get a bad wheel hop. Wheel hop is when the rear axle is actually twisting before the tire breaks loose. Then when the tire breaks loose the pinion angle jumps around. Sounds very violent on the car.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F3-suspension.htm This site will show you your suspention.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Ok, then what I was looking at IS the torque arm. Thanks for clarifying that for me. Again, I didn't see any issues with it. I'll try and go under it again tonight to see if I can see something. Maybe I did lose a bushing or something came lose. I'm not sure. All I know, as that it only does it "Right after I shift", and not during the shift. Could it possibly be the transmission doing it on the re-engage after changing gears? It just feels like it's happening right under the shifter, or maybe a little forward of the shifter.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Hmm...what about a U-joint? I've never been around one that's going bad so I don't know their characteristics.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

I have it! The very top part of the transmission mount broke...where the stud goes down into the rubber. I couldn't see it on jack stands because it was the very top of the bushing and all the weight was right there on it. I had it in the shop on base up on a rack and was pushing/pulling on different things to see if anything was loose. Poof! There it was. I replaced the mount and it works like a champ now!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

glad to hear you got it

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.